Brian Payne

Long Range Shooting

Hey, Brian

I does happen. I missed a 3X4 coues this year and I am not sure why either. I do know that I needed to spend alot more time at the range. I like to know where my rifle is hitting at 100 yrds and also at 500 yrds. And yes the shaking factor does come sometimes. You never know I know a few guys that have drawn good bull tags 2 years in a row. Good Luck

Thanks again for the replies everybody. I forgot to mention that I looked for the bull for quite awhile that same day I shot and for a good part of two other days, so I really don't think he was hit.

Brian

Brian

Well, my computer has been messed up for a couple of months now and I just had to throw my two cents worth in! I have read all the posts about this subject and I believe for the most part you have recieved pretty good information. With the exception of the "Bad shot " comment, Oh man thats really cold. I use a little different practice technique. I go out to the desert and find an embankment that I can stand a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood up on I spraypaint a 3" dot a couple of feet from the top then I get back and rangefind 400 yards, 500 yards, etc.and I shoot three shot groups. You will probably be really surprised at the results you might get, as far as bullet drop and grouping! You can`t really tell jack about your gun from charts and ballistic tables! You have to shoot the loads and gun you will be using on your hunt . Trust me I have missed quite a few deer, and lots of coyotes. It feels like crap when you miss a nice animal, because you know you just blew a golden opportunity, but, thats what makes hunting fun is the fact that there are no '' guarantees". If you try the plyboard thing you will probably be really amazed at the results. You will probably want to start reloading and keep working on it, and it can be a huge confidence booster! Or you may just figure out you and your guns limitations! Oh ya and Brian, I have only been drawn once for Elk in twenty some odd years and I missed my bull also. Good luck Coues Addict