Sign in to follow this  
RoughCut

New Mexico Sheds

I've bought a lot of sheds in NM and you start seeing stuff like that once you cross the White Sands and get into the Carrizozo/Tularosa areas of units 36 and 34. More-so in the Ruidoso/Mescalerso area to be more specific. Farthest east I've ever heard of a Coues was one that was killed a few years ago with a bow by a kid from Magdalena. Last name was Montoya. Those boys in that town don't see many but in the mtn's just south of town they've seen a few and that's where this particular buck was taken. From there east you've got A LOT of country across the White Sands and I've never heard of a Coues buck being anywhere east in that area mentioned above. Now an eastern buck would have to cross all those many many many miles (probably 60 miles I'm guessing) from those mtn's east of Carrizozo/Tularosa/Alamagordo and go west. Not saying it's impossible but I'm gonna doubt that shed is from a Coues buck. In fact I'd bet money it's not Coues. Beam shape isn't even close to that of a Coues antler. It looks VERY similar to the ones I've bought from the Ruidoso area. Very very nice shed though and that's my two cents for what that's worth.......

Now that NT shed is AWESOME!!!!!!

:unsure: *sigh* I guess I will tell my buddy he is full of poopie. Had my hopes up. You guys have crushed my dreams. :(

Hey man keep dreaming, we could be wrong? Coues deer just have a certain look to them and that one just doesn't have that look. Not even close.

You know what's weird thouhg and probably convinced me is, I saw a buck last winter that looked extremely similar as far as shape went. He was only about a 90 inch class buck but boy he had those long skinny tines that shot straight up in the air. The didn't forward lean at all and his main beam had only slight inward curl similar to this shed. He was in Oak Creek Canyon where I see coues all the time.

I've never heard of there being easterns on the west edge of NM but anything is possible. I have heard of them on the far eastern part. I'm not sure why so many think it's so impossible for a coues, typical to go 155+/-. I bet none of us can even fathom how many world record deer there are out there. About 10 years ago, a rancher found a single shed that with a matching pair and 14 inch spread would have put him in the 160's. That was in one of thewilderness areas here in Az. I just wish I, or any of us could take one down. Or just to see one alive would make most of us die happy hunters.

Is your buddy by chance named paul Rivera

Sorry no, His first name is Steve