Sign in to follow this  
coueschaser3

Mineral attractant?

Im headin out to scout for a friends deer hunt tommorrow and wanted to try some type of attractant or mineral lick infront of my camera when i leave it out. Ive had my cam on water holes and seeps and had good luck with that but the spot im hunting really does not have any permanent water in the canyon i wanna set it in. Has anyone tried different types? if so what works the best? I got gallon of the Deer cane liquid here but dunno if i wanna try that so i figured id get some in put before i head outta here and decide what im gonna take. Thanks.

The deer cane liquid works good for me. I would get salt in the brick for and dig a small depression, put the brick in and pour the deer cane liquid on the brick. We just got back in from checking our cameras and we use the deer cane liquid on our salt and have quite a few pics each time we check. Hope you do well...........Allen..........

I use the salt/mineral rocks they have at Bass pro or cabelas for around 16 dollars. Not sure if it will help you, but for mine, they've been hitting it well. I just checked my cams this past week and had 260 pics in a week and the rocks look like volcanos glassed over! They've been digging at the ground all around them. All the rain helps leach it into the ground also. Good luck with whatever you choose. post-1798-1217138211_thumb.jpg

Outdsman, I looked at those yesterday before I went up to check cameras, add salt etc. Do you think they work any better than the bricks? Maybe those rocks add more smell to the air to bring more deer in? I wondered about buying a few of those and just wasnt sure if they were any better than salt bricks. Any opinions would be appreciated.................Allen..............

Coueshunter I apologize but, I've never tried the bricks so I can't offer you any advice on them. Just so were on the same page, I'm using I believe their called mineral rocks, they come in a half plastic wrap. You can find them up stairs at Bass Pro or near the archery Dept. at Cabelas. I dont add anything to them and they weigh about 15-20 lbs. This is my second setup with the rocks and I'm deffinately happy with them....as long you find a decent area. My first setup had good action but, was only four months long due to some yahoo taking my cam! As for the smell, I'm not to sure about that but, let me know if you hear anything. Hope that helps in some way and good luck. Keep me posted, Paul

I have used rocks and bricks and prefer the rocks - only because if you've left bricks, I believe you have a greater possibility of detection by other hunters who are scouting - ifin they encounter a solid-color [red] rectangular object in the middle of a heavily-trodden spot.

At least the rocks look natural to us semi-humanoids

just my .02

I have had good luck mixing salt pellets and buck jam together. I usually put some of the pellets in an old gatorade bottle and then add the buck jam apple flavor. When I put this out, I have animals hitting it within a day. I also like the rasberry bricks for elk. They love that flavor. I have some video somewhere showing an elk picking up one of the salt pellets and chewing on it. David

I've had very good luck with just a regular old salt block. Go to feed store 1 pound or 20 pound blocks, the 20 pound block take a hammer to and make what ever size you want. There also cheeper than bying somthing made for deer.

I have had good luck mixing salt pellets and buck jam together. I usually put some of the pellets in an old gatorade bottle and then add the buck jam apple flavor. When I put this out, I have animals hitting it within a day.

DITTO!

thanks for the suggestions. ive got the deer cane out right now and thought about the rock but id would have had a heck of a pack in with 15 more pounds in my pack. Ive got it in a beastly he** hole where i watched a huge buck last year actually accidentally found a large heavily used bedding area so ive got it set up. Probably takin a rock in on the next trip. After that hike if someone finds my camera they almost deserve it.

thanks for the suggestions. ive got the deer cane out right now and thought about the rock but id would have had a heck of a pack in with 15 more pounds in my pack. Ive got it in a beastly he** hole where i watched a huge buck last year actually accidentally found a large heavily used bedding area so ive got it set up. Probably takin a rock in on the next trip. After that hike if someone finds my camera they almost deserve it.

So does that mean when I find it next weekend I can keep it??? :lol: ;)

I have had good luck mixing salt pellets and buck jam together. I usually put some of the pellets in an old gatorade bottle and then add the buck jam apple flavor. When I put this out, I have animals hitting it within a day. I also like the rasberry bricks for elk. They love that flavor. I have some video somewhere showing an elk picking up one of the salt pellets and chewing on it. David

Dagnabbit you let the secret out :o :rolleyes:

So does that mean when I find it next weekend I can keep it??? :lol: ;)

matt,

Yes it does mean that, but when you are stuck at the bottom of the canyon from he** with two broke ankles instead of one, the helicopter ride will cost much more. assuming they find you ;)

I buy regular mineral licks from the feed store for $6 or so.

they work great for me.

Little molasas or apple syrup on top works great too.