Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Edge said:

My ex mother in law was Buhddist by way of Japan. We hosted the in laws in our home for years. They had a Durma character figurine and all the Buhddas, Butsudans and Hello Kitties ....

Oh yeah thats cool.

I dont remember the name we just saw alot of different buhddas back when I was a kid. tons of shrines too.

there was an old graveyard on the base in yokohama. it was in nehgishi(sp) heights. as kids we walked through it alot and there was also different types of figurines of buhdas on graves and some really cool stuff.

2 minutes ago, Delw said:

Oh yeah thats cool.

I dont remember the name we just saw alot of different buhddas back when I was a kid. tons of shrines too.

there was an old graveyard on the base in yokohama. it was in nehgishi(sp) heights. as kids we walked through it alot and there was also different types of figurines of buhdas on graves and some really cool stuff.

Japanese had some awesome looking deities.

One of these days I'll have to see if I can dig up some old pics. Moms got tons of them that I took back then and she has Thousands of my dads old slides. I know she has a few dishs and stuff I got in a old dump behind of the old samori training areas. There was a old traditional school close to the base that taught old school traditions. that place was like a museum when I was a kid. they let me go in there and watch all the time. they showed me how to make bows arrows, samuri swords etc etc. they dd it all there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

My grandpa brought  this home from ww2. I would  love to find out what it is.

20210117_141153.jpg

20210117_141138.jpg

20210117_141146.jpg

Looks like he's wearing a helmet but it's the bowl of dharma under the cloak.

He looks wild eyed because, In one version of the story, he is said to have fallen asleep seven years into his nine years of wall-gazing. Becoming angry with himself, he cut off his eyelids to prevent it from happening again.[

The fly whisk is an attribute of Daruma (Bodhidharma), who according to tradition transmitted Chan Buddhism to China; it symbolizes the sweeping away of mental distractions and ignorance. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info. I have Googled  it a bit. Do any of you know what this would have been used for? Was it just a thing you put on the shelf or would it have been in a temple?

9 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Thanks for all the info. I have Googled  it a bit. Do any of you know what this would have been used for? Was it just a thing you put on the shelf or would it have been in a temple?

My guess is a piece of pop art for home or business. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Edge said:

My guess is a piece of pop art for home or business. 

Yup

back then stuff like that were sold to tourist(mostly military members). there were stores everywhere around the bases selling this type of stuff. funny thing the more north you went in Japan the pop art changed, wood carved bears were huge back then up north. Buhhdas were more inland, the more south you went buhhdas looked different. it all depended on the prefecture (like counties) to what type of buhhdas and other stuff you found.  if you can find some way to get it dated that would be cool. in japan at least sacred stuff was never sold it was handed down to family members.