Sign in to follow this  
kingofcoues

.257 WBY MAG

deljack is right, that's why i always shoot with my rifle backward over my shoulder and look at the sights with a mirror. always running game too. plus i'm old and i limp. and can't remember stuff too good anymore. and i'm old and i limp. really, i have to agree some. there is too much technology involved. folks need to learn the country and learn the animal they're after. ya don't have to hunt with a 800 yard rifle, range finders, bipods, huge binocluars, spotting scopes that you can see comets and blackholes with, etc. it's all neat stuff, but it takes some of the personallity out of the game. my dad is the greatest coues hunter that ever was. really. he's shot more monster coues than anyone i know and tossed the racks up on chicken coop. and he did most of with iron sighted guns that most guys would laugh at now. ever hear of a .348? didn't think so. last big one he shot, he used a .30/30. he shot a bunch with his .270, too, with iron sights. seldom ever packed binoculars. he just hunted different. my kids are always pickin' his brain for tricks, and they work. one o' his tricks resulted in a whopper last year, for a friend of my oldest son. but at the same time, if folks wanna use all this technology, that's ok too. it's out there. i don't really agree with long range rifles makin' huggers even madder. they hate us anyway. don't matter to them what a guy kills something with. just that a guy killed something. a guy don't realize what he's missin' until he tries something a different way. leave the big glass home and go hunt one down. you'll see what i mean. and ernesto, wuz you doin' the nekked huntin' deal when them fellers was gonna shoot ya this year? if that was the case, it mighta been me. i shoot every nekked feller is see when i'm huntin'. so it mighta been me, but i can't remember. Lark.

Ernesto,

AMEN to that! So is it not hunting to not want to pass up a buck on the other side of a canyon that a .243 may not reach across accurately? The reason I use a 300 wsm for deer is I know that it is accurate for long range shots across canyons and etc. I still consider myself a hunter even though I may take a 350 - 400 yard shot. I feel that with a coues deer that is an acceptable yardage. It is still hunting because you still have to glass and HUNT them up so whats the problem if I shoot one at 100 yards or 400 yards. I know where my rifle hits at both ranges and that is that. AG

I know a long range shooter who hit a deer at 525 yards during the November season. He hit this thing exactly where he aimed. He has also has a 725 yard kill also. He also shoots his rifles at least once a week, loads to get dime size groups, uses his balistics program to know where the gun shoots at long distances, and makes a chart that he tapes to the side of his range finder. He uses the bottom plex at different powers on the scope for diffrent distances. He's got it down to a science. He an excellent shooter that knows what his equipment can do. I wouldn't consider shooting long distances simply because I don't do enough shooting and I don't spend enough time with my rifles. 350 to 400 is my comfortable limit with my 270.

WANT TO SEE A HUMDINGER OF A .257 VISIT 2-J OUTTFITTERS ON THE BUCK MASTERS WEB IT' S CALLED A HOT TAMALE. :)

Do yourself a favor and check out www.shortmags.org. I think you'll see for yourself the advantages of the short mags over the traditional mags. For instances, the 270wsm out performs the 270 weatherby mag in every way... accuracy, shootabilty, and efficiency. These little calibers ar making most of the "ultramags" obsolete, including Weatherby! <_<

YOU KNOW WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO IS SHOT PLACEMENT, AND WHAT CALIBER WORKS FOR YOU ,AND YOU LIKE IT.

BLASERMAN <_<

King of coues,

The 257 wby is a kick butt round. the only thing with the wby rounds are the free bore in the rifles. If you reload you will not be able put the bullet out far enought to reach the riflings, then put that loaded round in the magazine. I ended up buying a Remington sendero 25-06 and I reload with RL-22 58 gr 115 nos Ct bullet 2.743 A.O.L and on my chrone graph at 3350 to 3380 . very flat and my group size is 1/2 by 1/2 at 100yrds