Sign in to follow this  
Gr8 White Jr

Want to hunt in NM

Well to make a long story short, I live in Phoenix, AZ and had to travel to Denver, CO for work. I drove through NM on my way to CO and let me tell you, it was some of the most beautifull country I have ever seen. I took the I-25 north out of Albequerque and after I passed Las Vegas, NM it seemed to be open rolling hills, as green as could be for miles and miles. :o I think the area that I completely fell in love with was outside of a town called Springer :unsure: (I think that was the name of the town). I saw more antelope than I could count and it was no surprise being that all of NM that I saw was perfect antelope country. I love to predator hunt and I know where ever you find antelope you'll find coyotes. Do any of you NM residents know anything about all the open rolling hills country around Springer? Is it privately owned or is it open to hunting? I would really like to return to that area and do some varmint calling. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Oh and what does a nonresident hunting license cost?

-Tracy

Tracy, 99% of the NE corner of NM is privately owned. You may be able to convince a landowner to let you call coyotes though. If you have any NM hunting license you can hunt coyotes. If not, it is $65 for a non-resident non-game license. This license only allows hunting or calling, not trapping. For that you would need a furbearers license.

Kevin

Sorry can't help you too much in that part of the state. At one time there was wording in the proclamation that Non-resident could kill all the 'yotes they wanted to with any current Non-resident license. But if you wanted to keep the hides you had to have the Non-Resident furbearers license ($345.00). Not sure about possession now probably worth a call to the G&F.

--Bill

Tracy, 99% of the NE corner of NM is privately owned. You may be able to convince a landowner to let you call coyotes though. If you have any NM hunting license you can hunt coyotes. If not, it is $65 for a non-resident non-game license. This license only allows hunting or calling, not trapping. For that you would need a furbearers license.

Kevin

Do you have any idea how to go about getting in contact with a land owner up there? I would think that any land owner that cared about the antelope herds on their property would be more than happy to let me hunt coyotes on their land. Thanks for the help!

-Tracy

Tracy, I don't know anyone offhand. I'd suggest finding a place you want to hunt and ring their doorbell.

Kevin

Not to be a downer but that part of the world is pretty crazy.... I went to school for a year in Las Vegas and those ranchers are very friendly... You can always hunt around the Pecos...

J

hey gr8 ya allot of that is all private my family has a ranch in Roy which is about 45 min south of springer and the only parts you might find public are on the canadian river but other that that i couldnt tell you one place that is public...get on the nm g&f website and go to antelope regs and search around and it will list all the ranches that have antelope tags with contact numbers and you can call around and ask to hunt coyotes..we have 20,000 acres and dont see too many yotes allot of ranchers shoot them on site because they harrass the cattle and run all there fat off...so the numbers are really low..but its worth a shot.

hey gr8 ya allot of that is all private my family has a ranch in Roy which is about 45 min south of springer and the only parts you might find public are on the canadian river but other that that i couldnt tell you one place that is public...get on the nm g&f website and go to antelope regs and search around and it will list all the ranches that have antelope tags with contact numbers and you can call around and ask to hunt coyotes..we have 20,000 acres and dont see too many yotes allot of ranchers shoot them on site because they harrass the cattle and run all there fat off...so the numbers are really low..but its worth a shot.

Thanks Fogger! Thats some helpfull info! I will give it a try. If something changes and you start seeing alot of coyotes on your 20,000 acres and want some help thinning them out, you just let me know. ;) :lol: Thanks again!

-Tracy