Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Late Gobblers in Unit 1

Anybody been up there lately? My oldest son kinda got the short end of the stick and had to watch his little brothers kill during the early hunt. We're headed out tomorrow morning for the second part of the hunt, but from what I've heard, it's getting tough.

Anybody been out lately? Sometimes after the first breeding they kind of have a post-party "hook-up" period for lack of a better term where lonely gobblers are still looking for a last "hurrah".

Coach, I'm hearing the same thing from alot of friends. Hang in there and keep the hen talk going. Most hens are on the eggs but the toms are still looking for a hen to mate. This is a time to have a hen decoy with you. When you get a tom to answer you then throw out the decoy and hopefully he makes his move. It's worked many times for me over the years. Don't be afraid to chase after a gobbler and then throw up the decoy. Just a few things that I've done over the years. Good luck! :)

TJ

Thanks guys. Went out this morning and had 4 gobblers going on the roost. We set up the decoys and thought, oh boy they're going to be in a foot race to get these hens. For whatever reason, when they left the roost they quit gobbling and never came to investigate the decoys.

At least you found them in on the roost. That is always exciting. Sounds like you don't have very far to drive......that makes it easier. I've got a 3 hour drive to our turkey spot.......

Thanks guys. Went out this morning and had 4 gobblers going on the roost. We set up the decoys and thought, oh boy they're going to be in a foot race to get these hens. For whatever reason, when they left the roost they quit gobbling and never came to investigate the decoys.

Hey Sam, sure is nice to be up here. I work for a company in Scottdale, but have a home office in Lakeside, so I get to be a little closer to what I really love.

I pulled a card from a camera I put out April 19th. The card had over 2500 pix when the batteries died on May 4th. I'm trying to put together a video of all the stills - it is really cool.

Anyway, here are some turkey highlights...

post-478-0-47527700-1336798180_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-44512300-1336798203_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-41913900-1336798214_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-07212900-1336798228_thumb.jpg

Looks as if you have yourself a pretty good spot. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. :)

TJ

Hey TJ. I've been trying to send you the video. Even on the lowest resolution it is still over 50MB and your server is denying it. I just zipped it, but it's still 47MB....

Maybe I'll have to cut out a bunch of the redundant elk pix, but it is really funny to watch in its entirety. Using MS Movie Maker I made each pic show for 1/2 second and it's still like 16 minutes long.

Wasn't able to open it tonight after work but thankas for trying. :)

TJ

Lakeside is a nice place to be, you're lucky to be able to work up there. Thanks for the pics of the turkey, looks like a great spot. Not sure if the birds are still coming in to decoys, I struck out again this past weekend. We had a tom calling on Sat. and two others on Sunday, but could not get them to come in. Oh well, looks like we will have to wait until next year.