TwoGuns

Colorado archery deer

A friend and I drew archery deer tags for Colorado 77/771/78 this fall. I have not hunted Colorado before, and am hoping for a great new tradition to start this year. I have looked through all of the posts referencing Colorado, and am totally stoked to get to join in the fun chasing mule deer with my bow.

Our unit is around Pagosa Springs, and I have been pouring over maps and google earth and am excited at what I see. We are not looking for a wilderness backpack trip as much as just places to find deer. I have bad knees from years of playing hoops, so somewhat limited by that.

I am willing to trade any information about hunting in Arizona to any Colorado guys. I think trading information is one of the benefits of a forum like this. Anyway, let me know if you can help.

Darren

Man that is a sweet tag, I love that area and plan to live there some day, every time I have been up there deer are everywhere. On and off the roads we see deer and elk. Tons of fishing as well, don't miss out on the fishing. You could go fishing and take your bow and see deer.

Really you just need to scout a few trips and pick some camps then just hunt around camp. I bet you will see deer just about anywhere you go. A good map software with private land boundaries will help a ton. Be ready for the altitude for sure, we hunt and hike at altitude often but Colorado is different and can hurt you.

I have not hunted Colorado but have spent time there, should not have trouble finding deer.

Darren if you have not already get onxmaps for your smart phone for Colorado. It helps me tremendously for my Colorado hunts. Keeps you on track and away from any issues of getting into private land by mistake. Good luck. I never hunted that unit in Colorado but that map system will help you find those good pockets off public land bordering private and you can use it off line without cell service

I have hunted CO a few times, 7 or 8 different units, but am far from an expert. My archery deer tag this year is in GMU 61, and this will be my 3rd tag in that unit. I have never hunted, or even been in, the units you mention so can't help with anything specific. You might consider using the CPW website as they have some pretty good map tools, and also have a hunting helpdesk (hunt planner) where they can actually answer some pretty detailed questions. CO has always been a fun hunt and enjoyable trip. Just keep in mind that you will be in the Rocky Mtns. and the weather can change fast - especially be ready for rain and lightning. There are also some tips which will help with altitude, and you should take advantage of everything you can learn about that. These include limit alcohol, drink plenty of water, arrive a few days early to acclimate (especially if you're prone to getting headaches when trying to sleep at higher elevations) and take Tums to help neutralize lactic acid buildup once you start humping hills. Between Google Earth, CPW, other forums (www.bowsite.com is good) you should be able to get by with one scouting trip to recon. your area and find a camping spot.

I am considering taking some judo points for blue grouse. Some years those suckers are plentiful, and it seems you could almost knock them out of the trees with sticks. Also, at least on the rifle hunts, you can shoot all the coyotes you want without any additional license, but once you have filled your tag, you must have a furbearer? or other license to shoot them. Not sure if this applies to archery or not.

Good luck, hope you kill a couple of nice ones, and post pics. if you are inclined to do so. We will all learn something!

forepaw

• Like 1

For those that don't know onxmaps and others have gps satellite map software apps for your phone. You can download section of map ahead of hunts and view it offline in the wilderness with gps. It is a very good tool off grid with your location and land ownership as well as unit boundaries and altitude. You can mark spots and they will stay saved for later use.