Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

This one hadn't shed yet

I took my nephews out who were visiting from VA a couple of weeks ago. Got a late start and only saw a few does. They were all heading for the shade. Didn't find any sheds but found this lion kill. It only scored around 70" but my nephew sure was excited. We cleaned it up and he packed it up in his suitcase and took it home. My sister said he wasn't home 24 hours before he had the skull varnished up, mounted on a board and hung up in his room. CB

post-268-1146707323.jpg

• Like 1

It's really cool to see kids get so excited over finding something that a lot of people might just overlook or not care enough to bring home and clean up. Maybe he'll get hooked just like us!!! Cool find and story.

That's great to hear. Ya gotta love it when the kids get excited about something other than a PSP or new video game.

Too bad that that head pick-up is illegal! Sheds are the only legal antlers to have other than tagged ones!

Not in Az..... :)

This is my first post, although I visit here often, I found this on the game and fish web site about picking up antlers.

Oh and by the way Yall got a Great site Here, really enjoy it

The legalities of picking up an antler

What are the legalities of picking up an elk or deer antler? Naturally, shed antlers are lawful to possess. However, the legality of possessing antlers, skulls or other parts from animals that have died is more complicated. In a nutshell, if the animal died from an unnatural cause, such as wounding during the hunting season or vehicle impact, it may not be lawfully possessed. Parts from wildlife that die from natural causes, such as predation, disease, drowning, or lightning may be lawfully possessed. You may not make this determination on your own. If you find an animal that you wish to keep a part of, you must contact the Arizona Game and Fish Department so ?cause of death? can be properly determined. For more information, see the article below on the legalities of picking up wildlife

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/highlights/highlights_0602.html

Sad but true it is illegal, and some of the G&F guys are very strict about it and it seems some of them don't care one way or another, but if it was me I wouldn't be posting pics of it!! I would have just left it there.......... YAH RIGHT!!!!! I didn't see anything!!!!!!

Geoff