Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

Which rifle is best for coues and psossibly elk?

Also whats the price range for a 7mm compared to a .270. I know i can get a brand new .270 at walmart for 250 bucks. Im trying to keep it in that price range. I bet they sell the 7mm for the same price?

In my humble opinion, 7mm is a much better round than the 270. More versatile ammo wise, and you can get heavy 175gr. bullets for elk, or light 140gr. bullets for deer.

It is super flat, super fast, and you can get ammo nearly anywhere.

The new hot craze for all those Short Magnums are just a craze. . . yes some of them perform well, but you can't buy ammo at your local small shop for a lot of those either. 270WSM is one of those that is very comparable to 7mm on paper, but hard to find stuff for at times.

Most gun companies make the 7mm and 270 in exactly the same price range. So yes, you can get that same gun at walmart in 7mm for the same money 9 out of 10 times.

I would suggest that Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm, the barrels are very accurate, and it is a super sweet gun for the money.

Also savage, or remington 700, NOT the 715. The howa is also a good gun for the price.

And 7mm is not too much round for deer, I popped two good bucks with mine, and they both dropped flat in thier tracks, no meat loss on either one.

Only downside to the 7mm is the kick, get a heavier gun and it wont kick so much, I would suggest do not get a ported 7mm, it will be the loudest gun you have ever shot ha ha I mean those ported 7mm guns are flat LOUD!. . .

my .02

I have taken 6 coues with my 7mm mags (yes I have 2) at ranges from 50 yards to 325 yards. I also have taken 3 antelope with them at ranges from 200 yards to 325 yards. they do kick a little more than a 270 but if you are looking for something you can also use for elk than you are going to need to get something that uses more powder and has more kick.

I only mentioned the 300 wsm previously because they now have a 130 grain bullet for it. that would be super flat and fast. you could also use 180 grain bullets for elk. a 300 win mag would be comparable.

Thanks for the input! would a mossberg in either round be a decent gun? Why not the remington 715?

The mossberg 4x4 might be ok, I have no experience with that rifle.

The 715 has some plastic parts that break. Spend the extra couple bucks and get a 700 if you are looking at the remmy.

And the 300Win Mag is very comparable to the 7mm, Its a hair larger diameter. But like a sister on paper.

My fav is the 300 mag. I shot a coues with it and it did the job just fine. I can shoot a coues out to 700+yds if I wanted to. It will take any elk just as good as others. I have heard of 7mm getting stuck in ribs and that is why I didn't get one. Not to say the 7mm hasn't had its fair bit of Elk.

As far as rifles go I am a big fan of the Ruger M77. I have the mark II and the Hawkeye. The hawkeye is the newer model that has a lighter trigger. They go for around $600 new.

My fav is the 300 mag. I shot a coues with it and it did the job just fine. I can shoot a coues out to 700+yds if I wanted to. It will take any elk just as good as others. I have heard of 7mm getting stuck in ribs and that is why I didn't get one. Not to say the 7mm hasn't had its fair bit of Elk.

As far as rifles go I am a big fan of the Ruger M77. I have the mark II and the Hawkeye. The hawkeye is the newer model that has a lighter trigger. They go for around $600 new.

7mm getting stuck in ribs! ha ha ha ha thats a good one man . . . ha ha ha ha. . . . oh boy, too much to drink. . . . .

The ruger M77 is a great gun as well, I loved mine. killed two deer with it. And so is the Winchester model 70 while were at it.

The Remington 770 is a good gun, not a great gun, certainly not a 700. More like a 710 with some fixes to the weak design. Maybe not enough fixes though.

7mm getting stuck in elks ribs! FOFL!! I stuck a 100 gr. rocket steelhead thru my elk with my bow at 315fps it broke through ribs on the way in AND the way out. . . I'm pretty sure my 7mm goes a wee bit faster ha ha ha. Oh thats good stuff.

here is a printout from Remingtons website using 150 bullet from 300WM and 7mm 300 is on top and 7mm on bottom . . very similar.

Cartridge Information

Index Number Cartridge Type Weight (grs.) Bullet Style Primer No. Ballistic Coefficient

R300W1 Remington® Express® 150 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 M 0.294

R7MM2 Remington® Express® 150 Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt® 9 1/2 M 0.346

Velocity (ft/sec)

Cartridge T ype Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3290 2951 2636 2343 2068 1816

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3110 2830 2568 2320 2085 1866

Energy (ft-lbs)

Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3605 2900 2315 1828 1425 1098

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 3221 2667 2196 1792 1448 1160

Short-Range Trajectory

Cartridge Type Bullet 50 100 150 200 250 300

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 0.0 0.5 zero -1.6 -4.4 -8.7

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 0.0 0.5 zero -1.6 -4.6 -9.0

Long-Range Trajectory

Cartridge Type Bullet 100 150 200 250 300 400 500

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 1.3 1.2 zero -2.4 -6.3 -18.9 -39.5

Remington® Express® 150 PSP CL 1.3 1.2 zero -2.5 -6.6 -20.2 -43.4

Ok guys I really appreciate all the input and im almost 100% sure im going to get the remington 770 in the 7mm. The only thing that is holding me back is that one of my goodfriends said that the 7mm hits harder than the 30-06 and that my girlfriend can not handle it. Sorry to keep asking questions guys but do you guys think an .06 kicks back harder than a 7mm?? Any aadvice thanks guys! Oh ya by the way the gun only cost 290 dollars after the 50 dollar mail in rebate and its alredy bore sighted with scope. Not a bad deal!

7mag kicks harder than an 06 each gun is different, I would suggest a sims vibration recoil pad, they are nice.

She will be a hero to all if she can handle the recoil, lots of grown men hate that round because it does kick a bit.

But with some hearing protection and proper form, she might do ok. Get the recoil pad if it is too much for her.

290 with a scope and sighted in is not bad, seems like a pretty good deal for a pretty good gun.

I took an elk from about 300 to 325 yards with my 7mm. It didnt take another step. I love not havin to track ;) .

My wife is 5.6 and 110 pounds and I know for sure she cant handle it. you can always put a bipod on it in the feature if money is tight.

The remington 770 is the reincarnation of the model 710, which some feel is the biggest POS that Big Green has ever offered.

Yep. You would be MUCH better off spending a little more $$ and getting a much better gun.

Try and find a used ADL, or some Walmarts still have them at close out prices.