Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

Which rifle is best for coues and psossibly elk?

7mm's are ok, if you can't get a .270. unless you're talkin' about the pud round, 7mm/08. they're unethical. Lark.

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE 270 WSM, PRECISE, FAST, DEADLY. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

Ok guys im looking to buy a new rifle that i can take long shots at coues with. Possibly 400+ yards. Either a .270 or 7mm.Im also looking for one that will be able to take down elk from maybe 200 yards. Basically i want an all around rifle that is very flat shooting and very accurate. Which rifle would be better? I really want a long shooting deer rifle. Help me guys!

They are both great rifles, I personally have one of each and I love them both. I am shooting a fixed up 300 ultra mag that I love even more, which is just outstanding for the long shot. If I were to choose between the 7mm and the 270 I would pick the 7mm. I have killed elk and coues with both calibers. I took a nice 5x5 bull with the 270 and it took 4 shots in the chest before he went down. I shot a big 6x6 bull once in the chest with the 7mm and he took about five steps and fell over dead. I watched my dad nail a nice coues one year at 510 yards with the 7mm. The 7mm will definately reach out there. If you pick the 7mm go to Harry Lawson and have him do a trigger job and put one of his custom muzzle breaks on it and your girl friend will handle it just fine. Lawson muzzle breaks are great because they don't kill your ears and also if your shooting from a prone position It won't send dirt flying all over the place. Anyways I hope this helps.

7mm's are ok, if you can't get a .270. unless you're talkin' about the pud round, 7mm/08. they're unethical. Lark.

My Dad told me about you :(

I will have My "pud" gun with me as I search out your camp. <_<

I would like to have a little range fun to show you what a .08 and

and FirstGirl can do against an old blind fart ;)

Ok guys I really appreciate all the input and im almost 100% sure im going to get the remington 770 in the 7mm. The only thing that is holding me back is that one of my goodfriends said that the 7mm hits harder than the 30-06 and that my girlfriend can not handle it. Sorry to keep asking questions guys but do you guys think an .06 kicks back harder than a 7mm?? Any aadvice thanks guys! Oh ya by the way the gun only cost 290 dollars after the 50 dollar mail in rebate and its alredy bore sighted with scope. Not a bad deal!

BBPete.... With a $290 rifle, you get what you pay for... Keep that in mind... To me, the caliber is the least of your worries as IMHO, you are not getting "much" gun.

BBPete,

Remington makes Managed Recoil ammo for the 270, 7 rem mag, 30-06 that your GF might enjoy better.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...aged-Recoil.asp

In standard ammo, choosing a lighter bullet weight will reduce recoil also. put a Simms pad or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on the rifle you get.

You have not stated what your budget is (but it sounds low), but I would consider a Savage with the accutrigger, or Weatherby Vanguard, Leupold rings and bases, and a decent scope $200-250 like a Leupold 3-9, Nikon Buckmaster (not some $25 Tasco, BSA, Bushnell).

BigBugPete,

The hardest kicking rifle I ever shot was a 7mm Mag! That's not to say they are all that way because I've shot several others that weren't bad. The thing to remember is that the gun should fit your girlfriend if she is going to be the primary shooter. If it does, and you follow Doug's advice and put a good pad on it she might handle a magnum rifle. If it doesn't, and it hurts her to shoot, she will never gain the confidence and accuracy she needs to hunt with. Don't ruin her experience by over gunning her. What is she built like? If she is 5'2 and 80 pounds vrs 5'11 180 it will make a difference. Keep in mind that even the 270 might be more gun than she can handle if it doesn't fit.

Casey, your generalization that he's not getting much gun is BS. I've got a $265 stock Savage 06 that shoots better groups than your posting from your goatsucker!

Kevin

shes about 5 ' 6 and weighs about 135. Im thinking of getting her the recoil pad and only having her shoot the managed recoil rounds. The gun is mainly for me but i want her to use it for her deer hunt! I figure the managed recoil ammo and the recoil pad she should be able to handle it. Also i will never let her shoot standing up so idk if that makes a difference most likely she will shoot at all times sitting down.

BigBugPete,

The hardest kicking rifle I ever shot was a 7mm Mag! That's not to say they are all that way because I've shot several others that weren't bad. The thing to remember is that the gun should fit your girlfriend if she is going to be the primary shooter. If it does, and you follow Doug's advice and put a good pad on it she might handle a magnum rifle. If it doesn't, and it hurts her to shoot, she will never gain the confidence and accuracy she needs to hunt with. Don't ruin her experience by over gunning her. What is she built like? If she is 5'2 and 80 pounds vrs 5'11 180 it will make a difference. Keep in mind that even the 270 might be more gun than she can handle if it doesn't fit.

Casey, your generalization that he's not getting much gun is BS. I've got a $265 stock Savage 06 that shoots better groups than your posting from your goatsucker!

Kevin

So you wanna compare groups? I'm game with that... Keep in mind, El Chupacabra is in the developement stage.. If ya like, Ill show you the final product of my 270 wsm.

Im not saying there is no such thing as a accurate or a good gun for less than $1,000... The Remington 710/770 is IMO, a low quality gun that will not last long. Now, if you want to compare cheap guns, I have a .243 that I paid $200 all set up that is a tack driver with factory ammo and the POS scope that is on it. I also have a .270 that is 50-60 years old that my grandad paid about $20 for and it will dang near out shoot my .270 wsm.

PS. Savages are known for out the box accuracy.. And have seen them produce more time the once! They are a highly under rated gun IMO

BBPete.... With a $290 rifle, you get what you pay for... Keep that in mind... To me, the caliber is the least of your worries as IMHO, you are not getting "much" gun.

Casey, I believe your quote above mentions nothing about make or model, just the amount the man is spending! That was my point, you made a broad generalization about "cheap guns". You yourself own two "cheap" guns that are shooters. I'm not a fan of the 710 either but I would bet it will shoot well enough to hunt with.

Kevin

Sorry Pete for the derail. Have her shoot it and see how it goes.

I second the "managed recoil" loads - they'll help a bunch when your girlfriend is shooting it. You may also consider a good aftermarket recoil pad (I like the Simms ones), and if that doesn't do the trick, you can also get the barrel ported for around $200.

BTW, I'm also a big fan of Savage rifles. I've got two that both shoot very well and neither was an expensive gun. For the same price range that you are already looking at, i think you'll find the Savage has a much better barrell, and arguably the best trigger of any "factory" gun.

Jason

Get the 7mm and go to Harry Lawson. He does great work for a reasonable price.

I have had Lawson put brakes on two of my rifles and they are great. They port at about 45 degrees rather than 90 so they don't reduce the recoil to the same extent but they are far less harsh on the ears. Recommend his work highly.