Sign in to follow this  
NewlyMinted

Unit 15 NM turkey

So just gonna start this by saying that I don’t know what I don’t know. This was my first turkey hunt and a new area compared to where my hunting partner normally goes.

We hunted about 10 miles north of Luna up against the AZ border. Spent 4 days up there, scouted and walked in to some amazing country. Saw a couple of small groups of elk, but the woods were quiet and absent of fresh sign. I hunted with someone who’s been hunting turkey in NM for decades. 

We did hear wolves the first day sounding off either side of us the first morning.

Everything was eerily quiet in the woods (‘just absent of sound generally) and over the 4 days the wind was everything from strong and gusty to still. Temps were around freezing at night but always sunny and good during the day. If it was Canada goose season we’d have limited out for sure.

Other hunters we talked to, and most had been up there since weds, saw nothing, some left or relocated day 3 or 4. Some have successfully harvested turkey a few years in a row. The game warden said there were birds up there by suggested the winter had been very dry, so they might not be coming in, he also said that the coyote problem was bigger since people were afraid to hunt them. Every other tank and pond had water (some were large puddles), and the small meadows seemed to be perfect. We just saw nothing. We have planned on being much further south in a couple weekends, but wondering how everyone else opening weekend went in NM?

Turkey numbers in 15 in that area you're talking about have been declining steadily over the past several years. Seems like once you cross the line, things change in AZ. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coues79 said:

Turkey numbers in 15 in that area you're talking about have been declining steadily over the past several years. Seems like once you cross the line, things change in AZ. 

Exactly, NM is getting tough.

11 hours ago, Vowell said:

Exactly, NM is getting tough.

I believe the same, at least in the spots I have hunted over the past 6 years. Combination of drought, predators and the influx of hunters, it has become very challenging. Hate to say move it to a draw, but I think that would help the numbers improve. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

We're headed to the south of the Gila in a couple of weekends, would be great to see my first turkey strut.

Should be good by then with turkeys talking, we were just on the other side. They were not real vocal yet but I imagine in a few weeks they should be going good. Years back I worked as a sales guy on tractors and they issued me a 4x4 truck and living in Eagar I scouted over there really hard. Put lots of miles on the Gila. Good luck and report back