Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Jumping the string

Does anyone else think there is any truth to a coues being less likely to jump or run at the sound of the bow going off if he has made you?

I had two bucks feeding at 60 yards and waited to see if they'd get any closer. Upon believing they were not, I released my arrow and the buck jumped and ran (took a bound) and was around ten feet away when my arrow (appearing to be traveling at 10 feet a second) hit the ground. I feel they were semi on alert maybe because they detected my scent? I just feel if I would have gotten their attention and he was looking at me, he may not have jumped the string?

What do you guys think?

I'm really hoping I get some input on this subject.

Gongrats to all the sucessful archery hunters so far!!!

I had two nice coues bucks at 35 yards looking at me when I drew and released an arrow at the one that gave me the best shot oppourtunity. Both bucks were broadside and rotated about their front legs to end up looking straight at me well before the arrow made it's way to it's intended mark. The arrow went right beside the deer I was shooting at. A clean miss. I've also had a huge muley do the same thing. To answer your question: I think if they have you made they are still just as likely to jump the string. Maybe even more so. That's been my experience.

Carl

Might just depend on the buck and its mood. I shot at a spike that watched me draw way out in the open and didn't jump until my arrow hit the dirt behind him.

Might just depend on the buck and its mood. I shot at a spike that watched me draw way out in the open and didn't jump until my arrow hit the dirt behind him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know that feeling!

i have an idea buy a x force they dont have a chance

Ya cause the limbs will explode before you can release the arrow :lol: :lol: :P :P :P just kidding by the way, they are sweet shooting bows.

Alright I'm gonna go science garbage on you so if you don't want to read on stop now.

A bow shooting 285 fps is gonna take .63 second to send an arrow 60 yards away.

the speed of sound is 1140fps taking the sound of the bow 0.16 seconds to get there

doing the math the arrow is .47 seconds behind the sound (less than half a second)

The average human reaction time is about .2 seconds I guess a deer aware or not aware

is going to be able to jump a string easily at that distance. For a human that is still about

.3 seconds time remaining. I guess if you speed up a bow and move in closer then you

improve the odds of not getting jumped but at that distance I wouldn't blame it on a

buck being more aware. If he smells or senses something funny I think your gonna

know it.

I want to respond to your statement, "I think your gonna know it." Your right and I'm pretty sure they were feeling something wasn't right. Going on alert often and looking around. They just didn't seem comfortable and when I let my arrow go, they freaked! It was humbling to watch, ha ha. Oh yeah I'm only pushing 272 fps, they must have had way too much time to react. :lol:

Okay, so lets ask this question.

How many guys have shot whitetail that had already made them and they let you release and connect.

Who out there has had a whitetail jump the string and what were the circumstances.

All info is greatly apreciated. And on your scientific statements, I agree I would rather take my chances at a shorter distance on them jumping than a longer shot. I'm still wondering if the shot is out past a certain distance what to do?

They are far too crafty for me!

If you are made by a nice buck you want and he is over a year old he will jump the string everytime. A 7 month old spike with milk on the muzzle that you marginally want will never jump the string.

Bob

If you are made by a nice buck you want and he is over a year old he will jump the string everytime. A 7 month old spike with milk on the muzzle that you marginally want will never jump the string.

Bob

And that is why I shoot the babies.