Sign in to follow this  
Jason

rattling sheds for sale

Hello I am interested in buying a pair of fresh Coues deer sheds for rattling this January. I would like at least one side have three long points and the other two points at least. If you have a pair that you would like to sell for a reasonable price let me know? Thank you

Jason, you dont need actual coues sheds you could use regular small whitetail sheds and buy some off ebay for 10 - 15.00 . I doubt many guys would want to sell the sheds they picked up because its normally pretty rough getting into the area you are shed hunting but I may be wrong. I dont think the coues can figure out a difference if you used muley,blacktail or whitetail horns for rattling. What does everyone else think...........Allen........

I agree with Allen, I think most any antler will work. Coues sheds are great though because they are smaller and easier to haul around.

Also, they don't have to be sheds. If you happen to have a buck around that you saved the rack from but you don't necessarily want to keep for mounting, you can cut those antlers off and use them.

The rack doesn't have to be big either. Even something that has two points plus eyeguards can work. It just has to sound good.

I bet you could buy some antlers from Josh Epperson if you wanted. His number is in the Shed Hunting section.

Amanda

I don't know what i was thinking.... I have asked my Dad to send me the horns from some small whitetails i killed in Michigan. They should work great. I had been carrying around a couple of mule deer antlers but are to big.

I have been able to get Bucks to come out of the thick stuff when i rattle in January while Archery hunting but they never come any closer then a couple of hundred yards. I don't know if they see me or aren't interested enough to get closer. I thought maybe a smaller set of horns might sound more realistic to them. I'm going to try a small decoy this year and see if that helps any. I'm starting to think they are just to smart and skittish for this to work but i'm going too keep trying.

Anyone have any sugestions or help hints that i could try. Jason

Jason,

I have always wanted to try and rattle in Coues. I think it should work from late December to mid January. I think you are on the right track with a decoy. Have you tried using scents? I think that it might work better if you had someone about 100 yards behind you rattling. I know this seems to work when cow calling for bull elk. When archery hunting they hang up at about 100 yards. If you have someone behind you doing the calling you can usually get a better shot. Also, have you ever used a grunt call for Coues? I bought one but have never tried it out.

Coues are definately hard to fool but in the right circumstance I think you could do it.

Travis

Travis,

I have tried scents to cover up my own but when they get down wind they can still pick up mine, blow a few times and disappear. I haven't tried a grunt tube yet but will have to buy one and give a try.

Thanks Jason