Sign in to follow this  
AzBuckCHaser1

6A south

been around several areas of 6a south, but mostly down lower, out of the pines and into the cedars. Ran into two bulls tuesday night, no bugles though, and they were together, not with any cows. Have not heard any talking, but I am pretty sure they will be real soon. The last 3 nights, since the storms passed, the temps have really dropped so I would assume that will start to help them get going. Even up high around flag they are not going full bore yet, but have picked up since tuesday from what I hear.

Might work out perfect for the archery hunt though. The pre-rut can be the best time to kill a big herd bull, since once he has a bunch of cows protecting him he can be hard to get to. IMO

twoguns

Has anyone heard bulls bugle here yet buddy has a hunt coming up thanks

I can't imagine them not bugling up in 6a. I just spent 8 days in 22 scouting for my up coming elk and coues hunt. I heard bulls most every day bugle. Their not in full swing but it has gotten started. Good luck with your hunt.

TJ

Friend of mine saw a bull in 6a south tonight that he said would go around 370-380. But he was not with cows and not bugling when he saw him this evening.

darren

They were starting to bugle last weekend in the early morning. Nothing major, yet.

I was in 5B S/N AUG 22nd-30th chasing muleys and heard just a handful of bugles. Saw about 45 head of elk and found the bedroom of bachelor herd of 6 bulls on the north side, the biggest being about a 300 class 6 pt. The bigger bulls had rubbed, the raghorns/spikes and deer had not. Was definitely taking notes for future elk/antelope hunts...

Spent last evening in the junipers and lower areas in a part of 6a south. Had a cool experience as I was able to get right in the middle of about 20 elk. It was a herd with one nice 340 - 350 bull and two 320 is bulls. They were bugling and fighting pretty good, they were also "glunking" I think is what they call it. really cool. then there were two other bulls that came across the flat to check out the herd. Both bulls were probably 350 - 360. seems that horn growth this year has been good. If I had a tag for this friday i would be REAL excited. They are finally getting it on.

Has anyone heard bulls bugle here yet buddy has a hunt coming up thanks

I spent the last 4 days in the Northern half of 6a South, just south of Stoneman Lake Road, and the bulls were going crazy up there. They were going untill about 9:30 in the morning and started up again about 5pm. I saw one bull running crazy after a bunch of cows. I also sat a few tanks in the area and had anywhere from 2 to 5 nice bulls come to water every night. I don't have a tag, just love to watch the bulls in the rut. I could have shot about 14 bulls by now. 3 of them in the 340ish range. And about a half dozen 300 or so bulls. I can't belive how strong the rut is right now.