3darcher2

Help with Kaibab 101

Great write up.  So happy for you that you were able to get it done and had a great experience.  Hope your wife gets back to 100% quickly.  

• Like 1

Great to hear the report and congrats! Looks like you figured out how to hunt the timber. I’d say most AZ hunters shy away from the tall trees, especially compared to hunters from other states.

As others have said, I hope your wife is back to 100% ASAP.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Great to hear the report and congrats! Looks like you figured out how to hunt the timber. I’d say most AZ hunters shy away from the tall trees, especially compared to hunters from other states.

As others have said, I hope your wife is back to 100% ASAP.

Thanks!

I even actually tried still hunting up in some of the aspens in the burn.  I put out a few groups of deer under 50 yards including 3 bucks I got to within 35 yards of but no shot.  I was using some eastern methods for sure.  The key is to get them up but then get downwind of them while they are moving and lose track of you.  Didn't work the few times I tried it but it did give me a look at some.  Just too thick for a shot, needed my lever action in there.

• Like 2

First off, glad to hear your wife is home and doing better. I'm in frontline healthcare and work in a destination hospital. So I've seen the worst of Covid. Hope she's well soon. It can take a while.

Congrats on a successful Kaibab hunt! Great buck. I'm an AZ resident and still waiting on my Kaibab tag. 6 points and counting. Hopefully this year.

On a side note. My wife and I just bought a property in PA (wife grew up in State College. We are....). I'm 3 years from retirement and plan is to live part time in PA. Hoping to do some eastern whitetail hunting in future.

• Like 2

I’m from over closer to Pittsburgh.  PA has done a decent job of improving the whitetail herd over the past 15 years with point restrictions.  Lots of 110-140” bucks with 8 or 10 points now compared to 20 years ago and the occasional Booner, and the black bear population has never been stronger.  Always a few 700# plus bears and usually an 800#er in there.  

• Like 1