Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Bison Hunting for Youth?

For me the biggest obstacle was the mental challenge of staying motivated. As much time as possible is critical. You could get lucky and have one come in on the first day but odds he is in for a long, boring ordeal. You can only watch the same squirrels, chipmunks, and deer so long before things get old. Have a few good books, games, etc and great snacks to keep you guys going. Maybe schedule a change of personnel to come for a few days to change things up. I had my cousin a few days, my buddy a few days, and a few days myself, 12 days total until I got it done on a 14 day hunt.

It took 30 bonus points before I drew this tag.  Out of 25 of us, and a two-month season, two hunters saw/shot a bison.  I don't know many 10 year-olds that have the attention span it takes on this hunt.  Then again, he'll likely be 25-40 before he draws it!

• Haha 1

Take your child to South Dakota and have an amazing experience without the stress of the draw and how hard the Kaibab can be. I have 35 points and want my son to shoot “my” Buffalo after I sign over the tag to him, but opted to cut to the chase.  You can find a great hunt up there for very little money.  Here is my son’s Buffalo he harvested when he was 8   Good stuff 

94664505-F41D-4C20-AD8B-BA475B87BFA1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2