Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Tucson Area quail hunt get together

Since quail season is just around the corner, I was kicking around the idea to see if anyone might want to have a quail hunt, get together, sometime this fall, maybe out in the Willow Springs area or????? Anyone interested?

I'm down for sure!! The only thing I'm leary about is there being too many folks who all want to hunt together.. I just wont let strangers hunt behind my dogs until I've personally seen them hunt for myself and know they are safety concience.. I've just seen too many bird dogs shot by folks who swore up and down they knew what they were doing..ground sluicing, low flying birds, etc..:( How bout we maybe plan a lunch and get together and then we go off and hunt our own separate ways and then meet up for a BBQ that evening??

I'm down for sure!! The only thing I'm leary about is there being too many folks who all want to hunt together.. I just wont let strangers hunt behind my dogs until I've personally seen them hunt for myself and know they are safety concience.. I've just seen too many bird dogs shot by folks who swore up and down they knew what they were doing..ground sluicing, low flying birds, etc..:( How bout we maybe plan a lunch and get together and then we go off and hunt our own separate ways and then meet up for a BBQ that evening??

Yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking. maybe pair up different people, depending on how many show, or maybe you have someone you know that you feel comfortable with. We could meet out there early in the morning and have a lunch at noon. I don't have hunting dogs so I usually just ramble around and find some birds.

I might even do a camp out for a night or two?

I will be working the quail check station on that first saturday at willow springs road. Anybody in the area stop by and say hi.

What hours will you be at the check station?

I will be working the quail check station on that first saturday at willow springs road. Anybody in the area stop by and say hi.

What hours will you be at the check station?

I'll open it on Saturday, not sure of the time but it will be early before any hunters head out, and be there till at least 1 or 2 but probably later.

I have to be in Phoenix Saturday, but I'm planning to go somewhere Friday.

Has anyone checked to see if there's a quail somewhere near Willow Springs this year? I'd heard that area was expected to be dismal. I was thinking of looking farther east this year.

I have to be in Phoenix Saturday, but I'm planning to go somewhere Friday.

Has anyone checked to see if there's a quail somewhere near Willow Springs this year? I'd heard that area was expected to be dismal. I was thinking of looking farther east this year.

I have not been out to Willow springs in awhile so I am not sure. I usually hunt down by the "pedro" around yellowjacket, when I go out that way. There has been a fair amount of quail out here by my place, so next weekend I am going to take the quad out and look around.

I am with you Scott, I have four GSP's and I would not want them to take a load of 8's to the head. I can not make the opener, as I tend to wait for a good freeze before running my dogs. Maybe we can schedule a mearns campout sometime.

Scott, what breed are you running? I will be doing some bird work on the weekends if you are interested?

Regards,

NOW your talkin', Simon!! Hey guys, let's forego all this 100 degree bird hunting and temporarily postpone the quail area get together till cool weather sets in and Mearns opens up.. Whaddya say?? I just don't like to run my dogs in this kind of heat and the snakes are still bad (saw 4 last night at work).

We could maybe do a campout down south and then all go our separate ways and hunt, and then come back and grill up the birds, have a few beers, and BS the night away.. then repeat the following day!

Simon, I run a knot-headed EP ;) and a Brit.. both are Mearns machines!! I didnt get to hunt quail last yr cuz I moved to MT (although I did hunt all 7 species there!) so I am beyond ready to hunt Mearns!! I've hunted 15 diff species of upland birds behind these dogs and I always come back to Mearns and Bobwhites.. I guess what you are raised on hunting remains close to the heart for life.

Here's my 2 mutts on a Mearns covey from 2 seasons ago..

DSC01575.jpg

Huntin' Huns on the Rocky Mtn Front Range..

signaturepic.jpg

And a good afternoon from last season in MT.

120807018_edited.jpg

Forgot to add, heck yes I'm interested!!! Do you have a supplier in the area?

I was in PHX this weekend and we found a good looking "put and take" preserve up in Snowflake that we'll be hitting to get the dogs back into the game for the upcoming season.

Personally I let the opening day crowd get out and pepper all of the baby birds and don't start getting serious about chasing the dogs until mid November then we get after them a couple times a week.

My old fat pointer is a very good Gambel's dog LOTS of birds shot over her, however we've only been down to chase Mearns once in a down year. She didn't know what to make of those clown birds, so no promises as to how she'll perform.

I'd like to get down and chase Mearns for a couple of 3 days this year. I've got a big wall tent w/ stove that comfortably accomodate 3 guys for a couple of nights that I'd be happy to share if anybody is interested.

I'd say shoot for either 1st week of Dec. or after the 1st of the year when it's good and cold in the evenings and a guy can enjoy some quail breasts and venison steaks grilled over oak/mesquite coals.

Heres hoping for hot barrels!

Schmitty

Forgot to add, heck yes I'm interested!!! Do you have a supplier in the area?

I was in PHX this weekend and we found a good looking "put and take" preserve up in Snowflake that we'll be hitting to get the dogs back into the game for the upcoming season.

I have heard some good things about that guy in snowflake. I use pigeons to find tune my dogs on steady to wing and shot...rarely use anything else as I don't want them to be cought. I have a few apartment complexes where I have traps set. I was up in the high country prior to my elk hunt working dogs and went through about 100 birds and I just sold 150 to a group, but I still have about 100 birds in my coupe.

Love that pic of your dogs with the rockies in the backround.

I'll send you my #.

Anyone going out this weekend?

If anyone is free to help out at the quail check station off of willow springs and highway 77 drop me a line. It sounds like we mind be short maned this year.