Crazymonkey

Ruger #1 in 300wm

My trip to California got me several new to me guns from my dad .one being his #1 in 300wm it has a ziess scope and he had a break installed .I hear they can be a pain in the butt to get to shoot anybody have any experience with loads for this and or tips or tricks to get it shooting good groups.

That's a sin to put a brake on it. It is a very forgiving caliber but I would find out what the twist is in it. It is a rifle designed for hunting, although I have seen a few that would shoot close to MOA. A close friend has one in 25.06 that he used for a few years in HP Silhouette. I would'nt expect miracles if you decide to  go down the rabbit hole of heavy bullets.

Ill have to dig it back out of the safe .the ruger #1 is a beautiful gun and I'd like to hunt with it .I'm not expecting it to shoot 1 hole groups but have heard they are finicky and some have issues and need some gunsmith magic to get them shooting and holding a decent zero.

I've owned 6 or 7 Ruger #1s over the years ranging from the .223 Rem. to the 375 H&H.  All but two were exceptional shooters - and my definition of exceptional includes mostly 1/2" shooters, and one that put 3 in the exact same hole at 100 yards - with a witness!  My current 30/06 is maybe not exceptional, but still very, very good at shooting sub-1 inch groups with about every bullet weight I feed it.  The only "finicky" rifle was a former #1RSI in 7x57.  Still, I eventually found a load that shot cloverleafs at 100 yards, it just took much longer to get there.

Best of luck with that rig!  Check all the screws, head to the range, and I'd bet a can of Coke no tips or tricks will be necessary.

I have one in 7mm Remington mag. I ended up installing a "Hicks Accurizer" in the fore end. The forend on a number 1 hangs off of the barrel and the Hicks Accurizer allows you to adjust tension or pressure on the barrel with a set screw. Once I found the sweet spot it really tightened my groups up with several different bullet weights and powders.

E Arthur Brown and company sells them and installs them.

• Thanks 1

I've had the gun out for 1 range trip and it shows a lot of promise.The big setback for me is the position of the scope .I can't get a full clear view outa the thing and will need to order offset rings to move the scope around and clear it up .I've been busy with work and trying to get the youth giveaway gun all dialed in .its almost ready for bore sighting and a range day before I donate it.THE hicks must be what I've heard about .when I can find time ill order the rings and move the scope and give it another go .I'd be real happy if it shoots moa or less .THEY are such a beautiful gun and all wood and steal.