Sign in to follow this  
HighschoolHunter

Late bull hunt in 9

I don’t think I posted about having this tag before the hunt (maybe I did and forgot) so posting about it now because I feel like I’ve at least learned something. 
I hunted 6 of the 7 days (had to go home Monday for an in person exam ASU) and scouted the Wednesday and Thursday before the hunt. Saw 2 spike bulls from the road while scouting and probably 2 dozen cows but once the hunt started couldn’t find anything. Mostly glassed the Coconino rim for the first and last 3 hours of light every day, sat water a couple mornings, spent a couple days just bushwhacking the canyons in the rim, and never saw a single elk during legal shooting light until the last day when I decided to just walk through the junipers down in the basin where I had seen some fresh sign the day before. I guess I got lucky because I just happened to bump a herd of 8 with a small 5x5 bull after about a mile of walking but I got excited rushed the shot and missed. I had a great time on the hunt and really want to do it again next year even though it was probably the toughest hunt I’ve been on since I know it can be done now but just wondering if anyone else had this hunt this year and was successful, how you unusually hunt the unit (glassing, water, stumbling around until you get lucky). Biggest takeaway is obviously that the unit is crazy thick and crazy flat (other than the rim) but even the rim is so thick I felt like I had to be looking in just the right place at just the right time to even spot something while glassing it. Everyone I talked to on the hunt hadn’t been seeing anything but I know the Coueswhitetail guys are like another breed of hunters ;)

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

I have had that late 9 hunt a handful of times.  I must have been looking at the wrong trees as a 400 bull was not behind every one.  Seems many glass up at the Coconino rim from the basin below- take a number like a bakery.  I try to find openings without a road going through it as road hunters are numerous.

My cousin and dad had the same hunt this year as well.  My dad went home empty handed but my cousin filled his tag with a bull that scored right at 350 which is his biggest to date.   In years past we have shot several 5x5, a few spikes and a couple of really nice bulls.  My biggest bull from that hunt was 384 and my dad's biggest scored 330.   It's one of my favorite hunts and we always have a blast.  I have never sat water but I know if can be productive.   I will always fall back on glassing followed up with sneaking and glassing as I go through some of the thicker cuts. 

Thank you kaffer, that kind of response is very encouraging. It was definitely a tough hunt but I’m glad to hear that I’m not too far off with my tactics.