Sign in to follow this  
denny

albino elk

Interesting that the velvet is even white. I hadn't thought of that, but i guess all the hair and skin would have an absence of color... pretty cool. There were a couple decent Albino bulls up here in NV a few years back. One died of natural causes and had actually regressed quite a bit, and I never heard about the other one. The bigger one was like 350 or so.

To heck with 350 plus...i would much rather take one of those beauties.

Those are amazing. When I was a kid there was an albino elk killed in 4A or 4B. I heard that G&F took the elk for studies. I am not sure if he ever got it back. Any of you know if someone was to take one of these, what are the legalities, will G&F take animal for studies still, and do they have to give it back?? Just curious.

-Jeremy-

There are several states which have laws against harvesting albino or white animals. I think Michigan is one of them. I don't think there are any laws against it in Arizona.

Those pics are in TX.. there are actually quite a few places in TX with them.. I'm in TX as I type this and from where I'm sitting, I know of at least 3 places off the top of my head with white elk within 40 miles of me.

There's a photo of an almost-abino ragged-horn bull elk in Henry's barber shop in Springerville. It was shot four or five years ago by someone Henry knows. The elk was well-known to Round Valley locals because it ran with the big herd that can be seen regularly at Mexican Hay Lake. I went over there two or three times specifically hoping to see it myself before the hunt opened, but never was lucky enough.

Actually it wasn't a true albino, according to the photo, Its coat had an assortment of very light tan colors on it. Its antlers were as dark as any other bull elk.

Bill Quimby