Jazz

Elk 101

11 hours ago, Jazz said:

Trying to get the elk call thing down. Never done bugles before, am familiar with cow calls.. 

Never hunted bulls in the rut before! Wife has the archery tag, I'm trying to learn best practices to get close to bulls. I've watched a ton of elk101 on YouTube, and am digging some of the things they do. It'll be Sept, and probably hot, and there's some great water spots in the unit, but I know I'll be hearing bugles all over- having knowledge of calling them in / getting close to them  if I go that route will help.

Anyone have any good books/video suggestions?

You have done all you can as far as research goes. Go hunt and put the knowledge together. Maybe she should be posting asking questions. Possibly she will get lucky and fill a tag, "IF' that is what "Your" goal is. Not Rocket Science in September.

Just go enjoy it and make your own video.

Okay, here's my .02 ,part info and just part story.  As a tradesman in construction for over 50 years, you learn a "few"  things.  The one saying I heard that I got the most kick out of is...a person can have 30 years of experience OR one year's experience 30 times. Some people just don't open themselves up to learning new things. All the contributors on here give you genuine YEARS of experience without the years it would normally take,, it's great! For me, maybe it's been just sure luck, I just walk slow and quiet in GOOD elk country and I would usually see elk. NO, I never called much.  The last time I did I was taking my granddaughters on a ride up on the "rim " during an elk rut, when we saw an elk herd just a 100 yards off the road.  I drove up another hundred yards and we walked out and I put my grandkids next to a big downed pine tree.  I just whistled the 5 or 6 notes a bull would do . No actual elk call, just whistled. A couple minutes later we heard a "crack" behind us and as we turned there was a spike bull not 20 feet from us. We just stayed down until he lost interest.  My guess was he didn't rate a harem and was really curious and hopeful. LOL. Having said all this, I've watched a whole bunch of Steve Chappell and other videos and again, free experience given.

14 hours ago, AzNative63 said:

Okay, here's my .02 ,part info and just part story.  As a tradesman in construction for over 50 years, you learn a "few"  things.  The one saying I heard that I got the most kick out of is...a person can have 30 years of experience OR one year's experience 30 times. Some people just don't open themselves up to learning new things. All the contributors on here give you genuine YEARS of experience without the years it would normally take,, it's great! For me, maybe it's been just sure luck, I just walk slow and quiet in GOOD elk country and I would usually see elk. NO, I never called much.  The last time I did I was taking my granddaughters on a ride up on the "rim " during an elk rut, when we saw an elk herd just a 100 yards off the road.  I drove up another hundred yards and we walked out and I put my grandkids next to a big downed pine tree.  I just whistled the 5 or 6 notes a bull would do . No actual elk call, just whistled. A couple minutes later we heard a "crack" behind us and as we turned there was a spike bull not 20 feet from us. We just stayed down until he lost interest.  My guess was he didn't rate a harem and was really curious and hopeful. LOL. Having said all this, I've watched a whole bunch of Steve Chappell and other videos and again, free experience given.

As you found out they respond to the cadence.