Sign in to follow this  
NOTAGS

Lees Ferry.

I was in disbelief for quite some time myself. I caught it sight fishing a 10 pound fish stuck to the bottom and had a second one break my 8lb line at the same spot.

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

Water temp was up to 67 this weekend. Lees is going to be a bass fishery soon, between strippers and smallmouth now showing up in the river.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/arizona/trout-fishing-threatened-as-the-colorado-river-warms-up/75-ecd4a4f2-c1a2-4fad-8978-e394e97746da

They spend all this money getting rid of brown trout now them poverty chubs gonna get eradicated by bass

• Like 2

"It was hands down the best trip I've ever had at Lees. Sorry the OP didn't experience it but those trout are feeling some competition and they were more active and healthy than any other time I've been there in 15 years."

We caught a fair number  of fish, just  not as many as a month ago,  and  definitely nowhere near the best fishing I have had up there.... I am used to boating 40- 50 + a day, last trip I landed 28 on a full day, this trip I ground out 22 on Saturday.  That doesnt count the ones that got off.    I dont feel they were near as active fight wise as they used to be either.  The big ones were definitely stressed after landing...., with the warm water I dont believe they can recover like they used to. The fish we caught were definitely larger, but I caught a 'bow that was 20" that was like reeling in a wad of river moss. Just dead weight, no fight.  The big browns all fought admirably.  

21 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

Was the cicada bite on?  Heading there tomorrow for a few days

They are still buzzing on the banks,  but nowhere near as loud or as many as 4 weeks ago.  You may have missed it.  Good luck, this may be the last summer for trout up there.

4 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

"It was hands down the best trip I've ever had at Lees. Sorry the OP didn't experience it but those trout are feeling some competition and they were more active and healthy than any other time I've been there in 15 years."

We caught a fair number  of fish, just  not as many as a month ago,  and  definitely nowhere near the best fishing I have had up there.... I am used to boating 40- 50 + a day, last trip I landed 28 on a full day, this trip I ground out 22 on Saturday.  That doesnt count the ones that got off.    I dont feel they were near as active fight wise as they used to be either.  The big ones were definitely stressed after landing...., with the warm water I dont believe they can recover like they used to. The fish we caught were definitely larger, but I caught a 'bow that was 20" that was like reeling in a wad of river moss. Just dead weight, no fight.  The big browns all fought admirably.  

They are still buzzing on the banks,  but nowhere near as loud or as many as 4 weeks ago.  You may have missed it.  Good luck, this may be the last summer for trout up there.

Were you spin  or fly fishing?  

Fished two days earlier this week.  Kind of hot.  Cover on my buddies boat was money.  We started nymphimg and got a handful.   Then got bored and only threw cicadas and that was pretty fun.  We’d get  a handful of takes plus or minus each drift.    That bite was still on but presentation had to be good.