bowsniper

Which tag to use, 04 or 05?

I spent yesterday helping a friend looking for a buck he arrowed on December 29th. The buck started walking as he released, and the arrow hit in the ponch. He looked all the next day during last week's big storm, but couldn't find him. We didn't find him yesterday either, but the question came up, "if you arrow a deer in 04, and don't find him until 05, which years tag do you use to tag him?" Or if you are rifle hunting and shoot a deer in 04, but find him and tag him in 05, does that deer count as your 05 deer?

What do you think?

Bowsniper

Guest Ernesto C

The deer is being dead for several days or weeks now so the coyotes did their part there will be nothing left but the antlers. I personally will consider that a "pick up" and I may use the 2004 tag (if it was my deer) or I may not use the tag at all.

Why use the 2005 tag?? Dont you want to hunt 2005??

Ernesto C

Interesting question! I would likely use the 04 tag as well.

Similar story, I once shot a buck on 12-31 at around noon. I was alone and at least 3 miles hike into where I shot him. On top of that, I was fighting a flue or cold and not feeling too well. I was almost out of water and made the decision to cut the deer in half and carry out the front half with part of my gear. I intended to go back the next day (new year) to get the rest of my gear and the deer. Realizing the problem with the calendar year change, they said as long as it was taken in the year the tag was for, I was okay.

I called AZGFD and said I just wanted to let them know I would be bringing out half a deer w/o a tag on 1-1 but that was because the other half had the tag on it and it was at home.3

worked out fine

I had a similar problem this last weekend, I still had an unfilled archery tag, and a new '05 tag. But threw the '04 tag away when I found it in my pack, as I had taken a small buck in November. What could the GFD do in that situation? Do you think they would test it for a time of death?

Sure I would want to hunt in 05! But I kind of got beaten up last week on the forum for admitting that I kept on hunting after searching for a shot/lost animal for one and a half days, so I was kind of curious what those people would think about this situation.

Bowsniper

The only thing that I would say is that I wouldn't get caught with a '04 tag on a deer i'm pulling out in "05.check with game and fish first and get a name from someone you talked to as well. because if you pull it out in '05 and say you shot it in 04 game and fish still might ticket you.it all depends on how nice the game and fish officer is.

wklman

The only thing that I would say is that I wouldn't get caught with a '04 tag on a deer i'm pulling out in "05.check with game and fish first and get a name from someone you talked to as well. because if you pull it out in '05 and say you shot it in 04 game and fish still might ticket you.it all depends on how nice the game and fish officer is.

wklman

Bowsniper,

I would agree with Wklman. However our "opinions " are just that. Call G&F for the correct rule interpretation. If you get some resolution, please update us.

Thanks ,

Mark