Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

7mm Rem Mag Factory Ammo Recommendations

6 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Whatever. Shoot wtf you want.  

Been shooting Barnes X Bullets since they came out 30 years ago. The 120's with 69.5 gr of RL 22 worked real well from Sonora to Nome for me. Low BC for sure but I never had to shoot anything more than about 300 yards and that's a WAG since we didn't have rangefinders back then.

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

Sportsmens has a ton  of 160 at their Goodyear  location, just the Bonded Trophy.  I like the Barnes Tsx in 160, but will probably swing to the  150 Trophy Copper due to a higher bc. And availabilty. If you move to copper bullets, be mindful of the copper fouling. Me and my hunting buddy have found the fouling to be much quicker than lead bullets and will put your accuracy in the toilet. . My Ruger 77 will typically put the second shot in the first hole  at 100 yds with the Barnes if I do my part.

They had that 150 copper and I didn’t get any because it had that meatgazer guy on the box 

12 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

They had that 150 copper and I didn’t get any because it had that meatgazer guy on the box 

Lol, I don’t care if they have the president of PETA on  the box if it’s what I need. Goodyear had tons of the 140 gr, I’ll wait to see if the 150 makes its way west.  I agree, that’s pathetic if Federal ammo needs a talking gopher for a spokesman

1 minute ago, NOTAGS said:

Lol, I don’t care if they have the president of PETA on  the box if it’s what I need. Goodyear had tons of the 140 gr, I’ll wait to see if the 150 makes its way west.  I agree, that’s pathetic if Federal ammo needs a talking gopher for a spokesman

But is solid copper any good? I always hear 6.5 needmoor type reviews when it comes to solid copper.

30 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

my experience has been stellar. Deep penetration, uniform expansion and almost  80% weight retention. I’ve dumped bighorn to bison . My buddy took them Africa and recovered 75% weight from a zebra. Some guns shoot the copper better than others, my tack driving .06 hates them. 

any good ? Yeah, deader than dead. Plus less meat blowup.

• Thanks 1

Give them a try, as said rifles can be picky. Make sure your barrel is clean, deep clean If an older rifle.  Usually takes 6 or so “fouling shots” on the copper to dial in. Different animal, but can be worth the effort .

5 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Give them a try, as said rifles can be picky. Make sure your barrel is clean, deep clean If an older rifle.  Usually takes 6 or so “fouling shots” on the copper to dial in. Different animal, but can be worth the effort .

I cleaned my rifle in 2015. It’s good to go. 1” is fine for me, I just aim in the middle 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I cleaned my rifle in 2015. It’s good to go. 1” is fine for me, I just aim in the middle 

Ouch.   Got no other words of wisdom. Blaze away

I'll be 70 come the next snow fall. Hope to see another 10 or more if the cancer don't reel me in. The 7 Mag is one of my favorites. Has it's limitations though. Great Coues round.