Sign in to follow this  
azpackhorse

South Dakota Pheasants!

I had the opportunity to go on a South Dakota pheasant hunt this year again, the weather couldn't had been any better. Hunting in 70 degree weather in November in South Dakota, whoda thunk it?

Had to get a CWT decal pic in. My Jeep on the runway loading our gear

SouthDakota002.jpg

This is our ride, Beechcraft KingAir. Nice plane!

SouthDakota003.jpg

Cruising at 23,000ft watching the sun come up.................does it get any better? Well maybe glassing for Coues bucks :rolleyes:

SouthDakota005.jpg

Here is some birds from our first day

SouthDakota010.jpg

Here is the gang on the last day with our limit, we shot 21 birds in 1 hour!

SouthDakota020.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Where'd you hunt? Not trying to find out your spot, so don't tell me if you don't want to, just curious as my mom and her 12 brothers and sisters are from north central SD (land of huge catholic families!!!). They've since dispersed and had a bunch of kids of their own, who've had a bunch of kids of their own, so I'm most likely related to someone where you hunted!!! Thank god my dad decided to move us to ND!!!

yotebuster,

we hunted with an outfit called Smith Creek Lodge, they are between White Lakes and Wessington Springs. The owners name is Herb Barber, we've hunted with then for 5 years.

yotebuster,

we hunted with an outfit called Smith Creek Lodge, they are between White Lakes and Wessington Springs. The owners name is Herb Barber, we've hunted with then for 5 years.

Haha, I have an aunt in Wessington Springs! Don't know the folks you speak of, but I'm sure my aunt and uncle do. Thats beautiful country along the missouri river, unbelievable hunting in there too! My cousin killed a 200" muley with his bow a few years back west of wessington springs, he had some POS 1982 model Jennings with 5 mismatched arrows, an accident waiting to happen, goes out his first time and shoots this pig in the neck, drops it in its tracks... anyhow, nice area, nice people, beautiful roosters!

Look like wild birds too! More and more of the lodges down in that country are stocking roosters. Not to much wrong with stocked birds I guess, but its kinda nice to know you are shooting wild birds! Kinda like stocked fish, they both bite, fight and taste good, but its cooler knowing someone didn't raise it before you hunted it. The stocked ones do a lot more cackling when they get up though, gotta love that!

Awesome pics Brian. Congrats on a great looking trip....looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing.

Phil