Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

not coues related but I filled my pig tag in 34B

I understand this has nothing to do with coues deer but I did set foot in the desert hunting both a coues buck and pig...this morning i came across pigs and thought this would make a good story incase some of you guys are stuck at home.

This morning my sister and I headed out in the ford truck incase we had to do some 4 wheeling with the snow and rain we got out in 34B. We arrived at our spot 7:20 and met up with another hunter...I got out and talked with him to make sure I was not going to hunt in his area....turns out he was going to hunt else where which gave us a little break to hunt the spot i want to hunt. This guy was new to the area so i told him about several pig and deer spots in 34B...after talking to this fellow hunter my sister and I headed down the road and pulled over and got our equipment and headed out...we walked about half a mile in this wash and I made my way out of the wash with my sister behind me. As soon as I got out on the flats I saw pig sign to my left....I went under the tree to check how fresh the sign was. The sign was very fresh because there was dirt ontop of the fresh snow...I nocked an arrow and made way to a clearing and told my sis to let it rip on the j-13 call..but she wasn't behind me, she was about 15 yards down and telling me that she sees javelina. So she came over behind me and blew those sqealing sounds on the j-13 and within seconds we had 2 pigs running at us. One pig ran to my left about 6 yards out but this guy wouldn't hold still for me to fling an arrow at him so I foucused on the other pig. This pig stopped under a mesquite tree and I settled the pig between the 25 and 35 yard pin and let the orange arrow fly. I watched the arrow and the pig saw the movement so she took a step forward and the arrow hit her and did a pass through and dinked off a tree. The pig took off running...my sis and I watched it as long as we could. I believed that I miss the shot since the pig took a step or two forward when the arrow was in midflight but after looking at the arrow we found some blood and chunks of food [V]. My sister and I waited from 8:05 to 8:40 and set off to track the pig...we made 50 yards down and my sister spotted a javelina moving in the tall grass 80 yards north of us...since we were not sure if this was the same pig I shot at...we could not pursue it so we continuted with the blood trail we had. My sister set up orange tape every 15-20 yards where we found blood/footprints...the pig track led us to a wash where she bedded down several times and there was good amount of blood coming out...we kept on the trail and lost blood and footprints after 150 yards or so. So we decided to skip that area and head over to where my sister spotted the pig moving north of us. We got there in the tall grass with no blood to be found, just footprints. We followed the footprints to an brushy oak wash bed and the footprints were getting very difficult to find so i was crawling on my knees beggin to the almighty lord that i'll find this porker....and that if i was to look up i would not see a pig charging me [:unsure:], anyways back to the story...so the track was getting very tough and no blood has been shed for 200 yards or so. When i finally looked up from the ground, my eyes adjusted from the near sight to the far sight mode and I noticed orange tape on the trees...the pig was moving in circles! So my sister and I decided to do the last option...blow on the j 13 call again...my sister spotted the pig moving out of a wash 15 yards below us! The pursuit was on again with full hope! We went down the wash and found the footprints....still no blood, after trailing the footprints for 40 yards we caught a splash of blood and continued to find more and more blood down the trail. As we started to approach the thick stuff i had an arrow nocked and ready for a charging pig...i made way around the corner and found a huge cliff in the wash and sure enough there was a cave at the bottom....I told my sister "I'll be danged if the pig went in there" she grabbed my shoulder and said "I think it went in there, look at that last rock" there was blood smeared on the side of this massive rock before the cave. I made way around the trees to a spot where I can see inside the cave. My sister was right behind me and I moved forward and peered in...sure enough the pig was in there bedded broadside looking at me...so I drew back and let another arrow fly, this time it was true and the arrow struck the lungs...5 minutes later the pig took her last breath and all was relieved. I finally took the pig at 11:30 which means we stayed with this pig until we found it a little over 3 hours later. After getting pictures, tagging, and field dressing, we went back to where I first shot the pig and had to pick up all the orange tape...we picked up a total of 39 seperate pieces of orange tape which spreaded out over 400 yards. I feel guilty that the arrow had to hit the pig far back but after 3 hours of crawling looking for a tiny drop of blood or a rock that has been knocked out of it's orginal position...i was able to find my pig.

Here I am sitting on a rock waiting for the pig to take it's last breath...the pig is in the cave on the far end of the picture.

f5992ef8.jpg

Here I am with my sow

f5992ebb.jpg

Here's my sister with my pig...I owe it all to her!

f5992f14.jpg

Here I am carrying the pig out

f5992f6b.jpg

Another pic with my sister!

f5992f22.jpg

Another picture of me! [:I]

f5992f47.jpg

One last picture...my sister and I...this is the first time she's ever seen the process of taking a big game and she can't wait for her general pig season in 19A to come around

f5992ee1.jpg

Guest Ernesto C

Wow very nice!! Awesome story with nice pictures and with beatifull smiles. Congratulations.God bless.

Ernesto C.

Hey I know that spot very well. Did you poke your head in that hole to see if it hooked to the caverns. Or maybe a nother set of caverns. :D Nice pigs for sure.

lol, no way dude! It got too dark after a couple feet :D , I had to crawl into the cave a little to get my pig back before the earth swallowed her up!

To hunt with family is the best way! Great job!

:)