Sign in to follow this  
curmudgen

Loading Barnes bullets

Please do not take every thing you read on this site as gospel, espescially if the poster has only a number for a signiture. Do your homework and try them all and decide for yourself. Shayne

I totally agree, I think the best way to figure out what bullet works well in your gun is to try it out on your own targets and on your own game. Seems everyone gets different results so figuring out your own is probably the best way.

I totally agree, I think the best way to figure out what bullet works well in your gun is to try it out on your own targets and on your own game. Seems everyone gets different results so figuring out your own is probably the best way.

I agree to a certain point, although since I only shoot one, or sometimes two, shots at game each year I can't develop much data by that method. Jack

Yes I'm the new guy, but I would have to agree with 270 on this one. I have shot the 168 gr TSX out of my 300 WSM (Kimber) for several years now and have great results regarding group size; however, performance on Coues has been horrible. I have see three deer shot with the TSX and they went as follows. The first one I shot three times right behind the shoulder and it finally droped at the third shot.The second was again shot behind the shoulder and it ran off about 100 yards before it expired. The third looked like it was a good shot at a close range and the animal was never found. I figure that the TSX are petty much high powered field point arrow, a 30 cal hole going in and a penny size hole coming out.

Because of this I'm looking for a new bullet.

Please do not take every thing you read on this site as gospel, espescially if the poster has only a number for a signiture. Do your homework and try them all and decide for yourself. Shayne

So exactly why does the fact that he uses his favorite caliber as his signature have anything to do with the validity of his advice?? He has over 1000 more posts than you do and probably some more time in the field.

Sounds like , as with any bullet, there are success stories and failures with it.

I do agree with evaluating the loads and the bullets yourself and seeing what shoots best out of your rifle though. each rifle has its pet load and bullet and you just keep working until you find it.

I have never tried that particular bullet brand, I have tried nosler, speer etc and always return to Sierra for all of my rifles, for me they are tried and true(never lost an animal with one) and they are relatively cheap compared to all of the others.

AG

I already bought the Barnes bullets so I'm going to try them out. I'm also going to try the new 110 gr. Nosler Accubond bullets. I've gone to several other sites where these bullets have been discussed and the concensus seems to be that they both do a great job on game, although many users have commented that the Barnes bullets, at least the older versions, go right on through and don't give up their energy in the target. The tipped Barnes bullets are supposed to open faster and do more damage than the prior versions while still retaining weight for penetration. We'll see. I've used 110 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets in my .270 with good results, but they don't have a high ballistic coefficient, less than .320, which really doesn't make much difference out to 300 yards where I've killed most of my deer, so I may go back to them as I still have a box of them on my shelf. The Barnes and Nosler bullets have BC's of abt .375 and are prettier than the Sierras so I thought I'd try them although they are really too rich for my taste. Whatever I do, I'm going back to 110 gr. bullets and these three seem to be the only 110's that are designed for big game, and by that I mean Coues deer and antelope sized game, and not as varmint bullets. Jack

I have been a longtime looker never posted on this site living and hunting cailfornia barnes bullets have become a challenge for all of us we have no choice. I have found the ttsx expand a little better then the tsx also the faster you drive them the better considering accuracy.I shot them in 7 wsm at 3400 fps. on 130lbs deer with no problems.