Sign in to follow this  
ElConejo

San Pedro valley recommendations for quail

Get on 80 and head toward Tombstone, almost all state land and quail are there if you are willing to walk for them.

If you’re willing to drive about 1.5 hours, there is great quail hunting in the Safford/ Gila valley area. More than happy to share a couple spots with you.

• Like 1

Go to azgf.gov and research the section reviews. They will get you into good areas. Then scout and hunt. You will find them.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:21 PM, ElConejo said:

Just moved to benson and would like to take the boys out and find some quail. Any pointers on where geographically would be a good place to start? 

I live in Benson and if you're looking for someone to hunting with you we could probably work something out let me know

Guest akaspecials

I don't know that area specifically, but all my covies are within 3/4 of a mile of a permanent water source. I'd look for springs, stock tanks, and rivers/washes and then start beating the bush around those. 

Ag fields are the one exception to my water rule. Looking at a map it doesn't look like much Ag in that valley as compared to others, but if you can find some of that cut corn, you should find quail in the desert around it. 

Please don't hunt quail in the last hour of light (they need to regroup before dark) and please don't shoot covies that have less than 10 birds. If you follow these rules, you can hunt the same covies you find year after year after year without having to repeat all the scouting work you are about to do!

Good luck! I hope you get the boys into some birds!