Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Scope recommendations for next year's giveaway gun.

Looking  for recommendations for kid friendly  scope for the next giveaway  gun.The rifle is a beautiful  savage  110 with a adjustable  stock in 7-08. BIG THANKS TO RUBBERDUCKIE for the amazing deal on the rifle .It did come with 30mm rings so something  with that tube size. Needs to be kid friendly  and at a reasonable  price so my financial  advisor  aka (the wife) won't  give me crap about the money  spent.It will also give me more $$ to figure out a second  and third prize. Maybe a 20 gauge  for second and a pair of binos for third depending  on my cost.

I know  several  people  have wanted  to donate  and I've tried  to set up a zelle or PayPal  account but every time  I do it seems some one gets into my accounts  so I still don't  do either. 

If you'd  like to donate  you can pm me .

Thanks 

Gut feeling says Vortex because of the warranty. But they can't handle any abuse that a kid will most likely dish out. I would say Leupold VX Series, uncomplicated and very durable. 2-7, 3x9 or 4-12 in more than enough for that caliber (a Fav of mine).

Keep it something that doesn't  need parallax adjustment. 3x9 or some 4x12. 

I personally like Leupold with a simple hold over reticle, but vortex or burris are good choices too. 

• Thanks 1

Ditch the 30mm rings. It will cost you more money for 30mm scopes and most 30mm scopes have more complicated reticles. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Gut feeling says Vortex because of the warranty. But they can't handle any abuse that a kid will most likely dish out. I would say Leupold VX Series, uncomplicated and very durable. 2-7, 3x9 or 4-12 in more than enough for that caliber (a Fav of mine).

I'd like to stay away from vortex  .I bought  4 scopes last time and had two that wouldn't  track.There replacements are still new in the boxes sitting  on the reloading bench.I figure they might be good for a 22 or just use them when they have a trade in sale and get me a decent  scope.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I'd like to stay away from vortex  .I bought  4 scopes last time and had two that wouldn't  track.There replacements are still new in the boxes sitting  on the reloading bench.I figure they might be good for a 22 or just use them when they have a trade in sale and get me a decent  scope.

That seems to have been their track record for as long as I can remember, hence the love/hate relationship shooters have with them. You would think that after being in business for close to 20 years this problem would have resolved ten years ago but it has persisted.

I guess it's cheaper to just keep replacing them under warranty than re-engineer/re-tool and produce a reliable product which the promise of has long since vanished. Their original vision was promising and has been somewhat achieved but is over shadowed by poor quality control.

18 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

That's a good  deal for sure.The wife has me back on spending  lock down. After getting  the rifle from rubberduckie .A savage 7-08 110 with the adjustable  wood stock.Then it was a 20 gauge shotgun  ,binos with a harness,and a 22 single action  pistol all for the kids giveaway. Then there was the proof barrel for my 280ai build .She wants me to give her a break. I'll have a scope for sure for the gun and I'll start the  sign up for the giveaway  at the first of the year and let it run till probably  the end of August but the end date will be determined  by the kids hunt dates.I want to insure the winners have enough  time to get use to there prizes before  hunting  starts