Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

Coyote at closing time

Had another rough day, but got one in at the last minute.

I had to get ready for my wifes deer hunt this morning, so I was only able to go out in the afternoon.

The wind was blowing again, and harder than yesterday, but I cant skip any free time to hit a coyote. I called four spots with no takers.

Right before dark I was able to make it to another hot spot of mine and finaly got one in. He came in hard from behind me. All I could hear was paws on dirt. I was in the greasewood, and he probably would have hit me if I was handcalling (thanks Foxpro). Anyhow, he ran right past me and straight to the Foxpro, got up to it and paused for a second and looked at it then bolted. He ended up about 100 yards before he stopped when I was barking at him, and all he gave me was a head shot, well half his head was showing. Knowing how I can shoot my AR I took the shot and put right above his eye and it was over right then and there.

Here is a couple pics.

cid_1111081719.jpg

The shot

cid_1111081720.jpg

And this is what most of the stuff I call looks like

cid_1111081722.jpg

Thats why I got the Foxpro. I got hit twice last last year, one of them I thought an old cow was beatin me up, he hit me so hard I was dang near kissin the ground. When I looked up the yotes eyses were as big as sausers, then I shot from the hip and took him out.

The second time last year, one hit my arm and never stopped. Didnt get a shot and left with a sore elbow. Now I have the caller and shouldnt have to worry about it anymore, but tonight was close.

I had a fox jump almost into my face one time! A good quick right cross threw him about 15 feet and he haul butt!