Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Load data for staball6.5 and a 7-08

I wouldn't bother. It's too slow even for 168's. I would stick to something like 4064 to RL15. The slowest I have used was 760 with 168's.

Hodgoden powder website shows a load for 150gr TTSX starting around 44gr working to 49gr. It shows a 140gr SP starting at about 46gr working to 51gr compressed. 

I would start around that 44gr area and work up. 

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

• Like 1

I have just started playing with 6.5 staball and 7mm-08 recently. It shot some 139gr SP well in my kids rifle, but I have not really started grouping or final load development. 

33 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I wouldn't bother. It's too slow even for 168's. I would stick to something like 4064 to RL15. The slowest I have used was 760 with 168's.

It's a 7-08 and I need to run copper  for California  hunts  with dad. I was running  r17 and it was shooting  great in the summer  but lost it in the cooler temperatures. 168s would  probably  be  slow and not enough  powder  to get them going. I was at 3034 and dropped  to 2900

35 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I have just started playing with 6.5 staball and 7mm-08 recently. It shot some 139gr SP well in my kids rifle, but I have not really started grouping or final load development. 

Thank you .I'll start there and work my way up.Its a custom  7-08 with a brux 26inch barrel that was put together  by Phoenix custom  rifles  .It's disappointing  to loose  so much from the summer  at 3034 to 2900 with current temps. Hopefully  this powder is more stable and still  gets me some speed and accuracy. 

Brunos had Varget in stock on Friday. That would be a good choice too. I chose 6.5 staball to start since I find it more often though. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Thank you .I'll start there and work my way up.Its a custom  7-08 with a brux 26inch barrel that was put together  by Phoenix custom  rifles  .It's disappointing  to loose  so much from the summer  at 3034 to 2900 with current temps. Hopefully  this powder is more stable and still  gets me some speed and accuracy. 

Check out this chart. It extremely doubtful the ambient conditions made a 134 fps difference. Something else is going on…although R17 appears to be one of the worse ones?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+powder+temperature+sensitivity+chart&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS994US994&oq=rifje+piwder+tem&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i13i512j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30.6199j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=iuNGVlPQEfqPnM&imgdii=voZseB2N9hc4ZM

6 hours ago, MMACFIVE said:

Check out this chart. It extremely doubtful the ambient conditions made a 134 fps difference. Something else is going on…although R17 appears to be one of the worse ones?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifle+powder+temperature+sensitivity+chart&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS994US994&oq=rifje+piwder+tem&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i13i512j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30.6199j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=iuNGVlPQEfqPnM&imgdii=voZseB2N9hc4ZM

Going  by one of the charts I figure  I'd have lost about 65 to 70 feet per at there 1.42 fps. The temp and a suppressor  where the only changes.The can would  mess with  barrel harmonics  and probably  get me some back pressure  and maybe  the rest of the speed .The r17 still  shot with a es of 22 and a SD of 9 . I'm going  to work up loads with different  powders the staball  ,varget,and r16 were recommended. So it looks like a trip to Bruno is in order .

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Going  by one of the charts I figure  I'd have lost about 65 to 70 feet per at there 1.42 fps. The temp and a suppressor  where the only changes.The can would  mess with  barrel harmonics  and probably  get me some back pressure  and maybe  the rest of the speed .The r17 still  shot with a es of 22 and a SD of 9 . I'm going  to work up loads with different  powders the staball  ,varget,and r16 were recommended. So it looks like a trip to Bruno is in order .

Everything I’ve ever read is tha a suppressor will add 10-15fps not reduce it?

it seems like this would  be easy to verify with your magnetospeed. 

24 minutes ago, MMACFIVE said:

Everything I’ve ever read is tha a suppressor will add 10-15fps not reduce it?

it seems like this would  be easy to verify with your magnetospeed. 

I'll pull the can and put the break back on and see what  it does  .It should  be faster  with the can .Maybe  lab radar vs magneto speed? For the difference. I want to get it figured  out so I've got a good consistent  load so  I can start to stretch out my yardage .Currently I've only had it out to 300 on steel. 

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

I'll pull the can and put the break back on and see what  it does  .It should  be faster  with the can .Maybe  lab radar vs magneto speed? For the difference. I want to get it figured  out so I've got a good consistent  load so  I can start to stretch out my yardage .Currently I've only had it out to 300 on steel. 

We’re these cartridges loaded recently and is it a different Powder Lot? 

Same lot some where from father's day pig hunt and the rest about 20 rounds was loaded the week before  I got to the range last week.Im  super meticulous  with loading for that gun and check everything  including  seating depth down to .001 to make sure I'm as consistent  as I can possibly  be.The brass was prepped  and I was supposed  to load it before  the pig hunt but ran out time .I had 20 rounds  to hunt with and was running  low after a few shots at coyotes.