Sign in to follow this  
Hiker

Colorado Muley Hunt.....with photos

I'm back from my Colorado muley hunt. Mike & Cort have only killed one other muley buck and Mark had not killed one yet. We passed on 10-15 decent 4 pointers, ones that I would have whacked in a heartbeat in any other area. Cort passed on over 7-8 good bucks, that were a lot larger than the one he ended up killing. We were on a really good 5x5, maybe 6x6 with brow tines. He got set up to take the shot, the sun was in his eyes, he mistaked a smaller 4 point for the larger one and killed it. That was a wonderful buck that escaped. I didn't realize he only thought there was only one buck and didn't see the smaller one until afterwards. Mark killed his buck at last light on Friday. We spotted him all the way on top of the mountain. We kept hunting and looking for another buck, but low and behold he turns and starts coming down the mountain right to us. Mark made a 75 yard shot. Rick killed his buck the last day of the hunt. My buck came out just before dark, on Wednesday, and I wasn't sure he was a shooter until we got a good side view of him, he was 3-4" beyond each ear. I got set up on my backpack and shot, he ran 150 yards and piled up. When I got down there, I went over to where the buck was standing and I had Mike range me with my rangefinder. The first one was 396 and the second one was 402 yards, so I figure he was around 400 yards. We were watching for a legal bull that I had seen from the night before down there. I didn't have a bull elk tag but Mike did, so I had him go with me, maybe he'd be back and Mike could get him. We were watching this burn area at sunset, deer started to appear all over, including some bucks, but nothing worthy of a bullet, until this buck climbed up from the bottom. I am very thankful he was at a 25% downhill angle as I didn't hold very high but the 180 hornady innerbond out of my .300 Win. Mag blew right through his heart. 4 inches lower and I would have shot under him. God blessed me so much with this buck, I was overwhelmed.

post-1882-1226531696_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535002_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535033_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535074_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535096_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535124_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535156_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1226535216_thumb.jpg

WhoooHooo! My blood is pumpin' now! I'm leaving tomorrow for my Kaibab hunt that starts in 8 days.....and counting! If a buck like yours steps out he's in trouble! Congrats to all on great bucks! JIM>

Awesome bucks.

How many points did it take you to draw the tag?

I've got 3 points right now.

Going to keep buying them until I draw a good tag in Utah or Nevada.

Great bucks.. First one is huge. How wide is he and what does he score?

He was 1/8" shy of 29". I haven't put a tape to him yet but hope to when I get him back from the Taxidermist.

Thanks everyone!

Thats a great hunt right there!