Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

The Lucky Bean II

here are a few more tidbits about the lucky bean:

1) a certain rabbit slept through his alarm opening morning and wasn't able to make it to his desired spot for opening bell. a couple nights later, a certain other camper was crawling into his sleeping bag and discovered his alarm clock was missing. several futile minutes were spent looking for it and finally an alternative alarm was found to use for the next morning. the next day it was discovered to have been unknowingly loaned to a certain rabbit. no worries - just glad to know I wasn't losing it.

2) after first obtaining the bean, a certain rabbit popped it in his mouth and started to suck on it. fortunately it did not taste good and was spat out when asked if they were safe to eat and the answer by all was 'don't know'.

3) mtn lion burritos were enjoyed one evening from the cat Scout'm harvested back in Apr.

4) I tend to spend most of my time glassing for deer and thus did not take many pictures on this hunt. here are a few that I did take:

an interesting pine tree with a century plant growing out of it. probably do not see this very often.

post-268-1226808569_thumb.jpg

the biggest herd I glassed up on the hunt (15 total).

post-268-1226808618_thumb.jpg

my last day, afternoon buck I passed on. a small 2 pt I saw for the 3rd time. the previous two times were on scouting trips to the general area. I wonder if his 2 buddies made it through the season or if they are now packaged up in someones freezer?

post-268-1226808762_thumb.jpg

view of the last night of the season.

post-268-1226808991_thumb.jpg

5) after several days of unsuccessful hunting, the lucky/unlucky beans were tossed into the fire in hopes of turning our fortunes around.

6) also on the last day, a solo drug smuggler was spotted going through a saddle at the top of the mtns. fortunately the rabbit did not encounter any of these when he was back in this canyon hunting during the previous 4 days.

7) Leicas vs Swaros - after hearing all about these Leica's that pretty much glass up deer on their own, the final count was (including the day before the season) Leicas = 3 bucks and Swaros = 10 bucks. this included a side by side comparison on the evening before the season opened with Swaros = 2 bucks and Leica's = 0 bucks. Is this covered under the Leica warranty? Future Leica owners beware!

8) A good time was had by all, the company was great, the food was great, the weather (except Sunday's storm) was great. The biggest buck found was an 86" (+/-) 3X3 that was originally spotted at 450 yards but worked around the ridge while I was procrastinating about throwing some lead at it or trying to find a way to stalk in closer. The buck was relocated a couple of hours later on the other side of the ridge but did not stick around long enough for more procrastination while deciding to throw lead at it from 370 yards or try to stalk in closer.

9) Upon returning home and reading the original Lucky Bean post, I noticed the spring draw results were out so I clicked over to see if I had been successful in my turkey application or not. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to discover I had been drawn for April 24, 35A Gould's Turkey. I guess that bean was lucky after all.

I am amazed at all the pictures of illegals/smugglers that these southern unit hunts produce. Makes you think something more should be done to stop this from happening, especially the guys with the bails of weed strapped to their back. When the economy finally gets back on its feet and the border becomes an issue again- if all the hunters sent in their photos showing what a normal person can plainly spot on any given day down there it would probably help in getting something done. Ignorance is bliss, but if those photos get out there it can be ignored.

Thanks for adding to the story and hunt Chris.....that is all except for the Leica comments...we'll have to have a rematch later.

Phil

Here are a few more pictures from our hunt - the buck is only one of two bucks I glassed up the entire trip - this one on thrusday before the hunt. True to form I have no problem finding them during our scouting but come hunt time my eyes turn off to seeing bucks I was averaging over 20 does and fawns per day. I did find one other 3x3 in the 85+ category but didn't get any pictures of him and wasn't able to make a move on him.

I also have a picture of a drowned RedRabbit but I'm doing Doug a solid and not sharing...that is of course someone makes it work my while...

post-1361-1226892046_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1226892061_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1226892090_thumb.jpg

Larry,

I will load your .300 WSM rounds for you......

It's worth a lot more than that...you'll have to do better.

I also have a picture of a drowned RedRabbit but I'm doing Doug a solid and not sharing...that is of course someone makes it work my while...

Do I have the opportunity to raise the ante, cuz i know it was not a pretty sight?

Do I have the opportunity to raise the ante, cuz i know it was not a pretty sight?

Of course your offering has veto power.

Larry,

I will load your .300 WSM rounds for you......

It's worth a lot more than that...you'll have to do better.

I will load it, and load it correctly so you actually kill that 115" this year! Ya know, accurate powder charges, seating depth all the same, same primers... Stuff like that :D