Sign in to follow this  
JSR

Kowa spotters

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

You scored a really nice optic at a great price.

You can still find some good stuff on Ebay once in awhile 

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice to see an objective point of view from someone who actually has both.  Given that you could get 2 big eye setups for the cost of the btx sure makes the kowas setup very appealing.  If I had 5k to play with for optics I'd go NL pure 12s and kowa big eyes.  If packing far pull one of the kowas and just pack the spotters.  

Curious as I haven't seen one of the Adams adapters. Could you drill some more holes in the plate to shave some weight off?  I wonder how hard it would be to form a carbon fiber plate....

I put the Adam's Adapter bracket for the 664s on the scale and it was right around 21.7 oz but that exact thought crossed my mind. Along the bottom of the bracket, either bigger holes or a little bit smaller footprint would shave some ounces. Carbon fiber is a very interesting idea.

5 hours ago, high rise hunter said:

I put the Adam's Adapter bracket for the 664s on the scale and it was right around 21.7 oz but that exact thought crossed my mind. Along the bottom of the bracket, either bigger holes or a little bit smaller footprint would shave some ounces. Carbon fiber is a very interesting idea.

A dude sold a pair here awhile back with what I think was a homemade carbon fiber plate.  Maybe a thin sheet of aluminum to start and then wrap layers yourself. Pretty sure I saw stuff on Amazon to make your own carbon fiber products but maybe you can buy premade pieces. Idk. 

The 66mm kowas are great, even without fluorite. The 66mm XD model is like flourite and will blow any vortex out of the water. I have not compared to Swarovski BTX but have compared to other Swarovski models and as they were very comparable I like the kowa a little more. I ended up choosing kowa for the weight and price. I now run a big eye setup and love it. If  im on a backpack hunt I can run one spotter and have a spare or I can run both if needed.