Sign in to follow this  
MogollonMan

Looking for Vancouver Fishing Information

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with some firsthand Vancouver fishing information. I am considering taking my family of 5 (myself, wife, and 3 teens) to Vancouver for a week this summer and hoping someone can point me in the right direction with any of the following:

• Recommended fishinhcharters?
  • Best dates to go (looking at early June, but flixible)?
  • DIY (ocean or river, probably from shore)?
  • Lodging
  • Anything else we should consider doing in Vancouver?

Thank you

If your going that far you mine as well head to Alaska.  It's called catching not fishing lol.  Best fishing trip of my life!!

Thank you for the reply. I can fly the family for free on Southwest. Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly to Alaska, but they do fly into Belligham which is only a short drive from Vancouver. Alaska is definitely on the list for the future, but likely cost prohibitive for the whole family, tt least for now.

Highwater Tackle is an awesome shop in North Vancouver with great info and super friendly guys Id ask them for info. I've only fished BC once and it was in June off the coast of Vancouver Island. We had an awesome day and brought home a bunch of meat. Cant say I remember which guide we took but I would call Highwater and ask them for what opportunities are available. I was in the shop a few weeks ago and they were talking about the steel head run starting up so you might want to ask about that. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Not exactly the  Vancouver metro area, but worth a thought. Vancouver is VERY expensive, in my opinion, even with the exchange rate in our favor. 

Fishing is better  away from Vancouver.  If you're driving and  have the time check out  the small towns of Tofino and Uclulet, BC on the Pacific side of Vancouver Island. Both have many day charter boats.   You'll need to take a ferry from Horseshoe Bay ( just north of Vancouver) to Nanaimo BC, then drive across the island to the Pacific side.  Can't recommend a charter,  the one we used changed hands.

Uclulet prices were a bit lower than Tofino.  Tripadvisor.com ratings are worth a look.

Timing your salt water  trip depends on salmon runs. Kings (Chinook) run earlier in summer, Silvers ( Coho) later, Pinks both. There's some overlap.  Halibut and Ling are around all the time. Expect rain, that's what it does, but the temperate rain forest is impressive. Bring your best rain gear. 

• Like 3

Forgot to mention: you said you're  traveling with teens.  Between Tofino and Uclulet are some  great paddle board  and surfing beaches.

The Pacific Rim Nat'l Park betwen the two towns has Long Beach, famous stand up paddle board and surf.  Lotta' families and kites use this area at at low tide on a sunny day. The water is North Pacific colder, like mid 50s to 60's  Wet suits for cold weather, lighter skins provided by schools.  Kid's lessons available. Usually the surf in mid summer is mild.   The road running between the towns is free of charge,  but there's a charge to enter the beach parking.  There used to be pay machines at the entrance. 

There's other wide sand beaches along there as well