Sign in to follow this  
leftcoast

Unit 36C

Got drawn for Unit 36C this year. Can anyone provide tips on which roads and or ranches allow good access. I called the AZGFD in Tucson and they said their website info was due to be updated, but didn't know when.

Edited by leftcoast

The last time I looked there was general descriptions on the AZGFD website. I will go back and check it, but you should be able to get info there. There are various private ranches that allow access like Margarita, brown canyon etc.....remember this is state land and the best map for the area is the USGS map labled Sells area. You can get that map by calling wide world of maps in Phoenix and request the Sells Arizona-Sonora map or maybe Amanda sells them here on coueswhitetail........Allen Taylor.......

I just went to the website and they have the info you need there regarding spots that provide access along the hwy 286...........I would still get the map from USGS because it shows water spots, roads etc...........Allen Taylor.........

Hey Allen,

Did you see any carp last year? Any nice ones? All my carp spots are across the road in 36A. One of my uncles might have a carp hunter in that unit on the middle hunt.

Bret M.

After you scout the areas around the ranches (generally in the center of the unit) don't forget to check the mountains on the south end about 5 miles north of the border.

Arizona Griz.

Brett: I saw a couple small bucks and a ton of does especially around Santa Margarita ranch. I didnt see any up in the hills, all down in the flats where they should be. I know there are some monster muley's in there but I havent spent any time glassing for them. If he is guiding the early hunts I bet he will have a rough time. Is there a late carp hunt???

Brett: I would imagine that he should spend a bit of time glassing down toward the border and hunting the unit like its Mexico because I know Ulmer and some others have pulled some big Muley's out of there but I would imagine its closer to the border and away from where everyone drives alot..........AT..............

Guest Kirk Kelso

Bret,

I glassed up two Muley bucks in the 160 to 170 class, from a small hill on the Elkhorn, last Sunday. Any of the ares down the range, where you can get some elevation and glass back into the flat country should show you some good deer. It's tough in the mornings though, as you're glassing directly into the sun, but the afternoon and evenings are great.

KK

Guest Kirk Kelso

Bret,

Wrong Jim. There was a different Jim Reynolds killed in a car wreak last week.

KK