Sign in to follow this  
lincoxn

Opinions on t/c Encores

Kicking around the idea of getting one. Mostly because I think it would grow up well with the kids since you basically have unlimited barrel options, plus maybe a couple custom rifle/muzzleloader barrels for me.I've already read some other forums and basically everybody either loves them or hates them. I putting it up here since I feel like we make our guns work a little harder than most. Accuracy, safety, and reliability are what I'm most curious about.

I’ve had an encore and contender.  IMO they are poor starter guns for kids for a couple reasons.  1:  I don’t like hammers for kids.  Not sure why everyone was raised in them and so was I but having a gun with a hammer that you have to let down with cold little fingers is the worst idea we’ve collectively had as hunters trying to introduce new hunters.  2:  because of the geometry of the stock they kick harder then they should.  Or atleast worse than a pound for pound bolt rifle.  3:  they’re a single shot.  I know I know, it’s to teach kids a lesson about making one shot count right?!?  I can’t think of a worse time to limit someone to one shot than on their first big game animal. Sometimes stuff happens and we need a follow up shot.  I would say I’ve made nearly perfect shots on the last 5-6 elk I’ve killed and I’ve still shot them all 2-3 times because it’s the right thing to do.  You don’t know where that first one hit, so you keep shooting until they are on the ground if you ask me.  Seen way to much weird stuff happen with what I thought was a perfect shot.  We owe that to the animal.  It’s not the Great Depression anymore where granddaddy gives you one round to go out and get dinner with.  

• Like 1

Having  contenders in pistol  and rifle and encore  also  they offer some good  and some bad . Good is they can be switched  to different  calibers and they can be light for size . But bad is they aren't  super safe for kids . The hammer thing and also single  shot only . You'd  be way better with  a bolt action  and a stock you can adjust  for size in a caliber that will  fit the range of animals  you wish to hunt. Most kids can handle  243,7-08,or 308 with a break on them . Those will  take about anything  you'd  probably  hunt at a reasonable  distance  .

I had a Pro Hunter with 45 cal MGM barrel - could shoot to MOA at 300 yds- light setup.  I decided to upgrade sold it- it was a good gun. Never shot a center fire out of it. They are getting hard to find .