Sign in to follow this  
juliuscesar

12.5x50 tract

I've read glass wise they are on par or very close with meopta, not as sturdy feeling as meopta and I think the eyecups don't come all the way out making cleaning more difficult. There was a thread on rokslide about them. But for cost vs value I'd take a chance on them.    

• Like 1

For reference I own tract toric 10x42 and a tract toric scope. Also have Leica, swaro. 

Most made in Japan binoculars from good companies are made my kamakura, then rebranded. (Look at the toric spotter and the leupold Santiam sx5 angled spotter to see what I’m talking about, or compare the razor LH line to the toric scopes.) supposedly the toric line is made here. Zeiss conquests have been made there, leupold, vortex razor, and I’ve heard maven as well. Kamakura isnt putting out a list obviously so I’m hesitant to say definitively on a list. None of this means the build is the exact same, as they are still building with each companies specified glass, coatings, etc, but if true the build quality should be equal. 

I know OP didn’t say it but the Meopta meostar line is made in Czech republic with flourite. Next tier stuff for sure. 

Based on my experience with the above, the torics compare about equally to the vortex razor HD  line if that helps. Similar feel to Zeiss conquests as far as build, brightness, etc from a  few years ago but the new conquests seem a bit crisper so I’m curious what Zeiss did differently. I’ve not compared directly to the HD GPO, just the ED line and it was substantially better. Not compared to maven. 

I suspect tract/maven/Gpo would come down to who you prefer for magnification/dimensions, what your eye likes for coatings, etc. as all (could probably add in the leupold sx5 and vortex razor line) fall into the “96% of Swarovski for 50% of the price” category. 

I'm in the market for 12.5x50 also so I’ve been looking around a lot. FWIW, my short list is down to tract or used meopta meostars. My short list is down to those two for a spotter as well. Tract is a great company and extremely responsive to anything you need. Great warranty, and the owners of the company are actively engaged in customer service and are the ones answering emails. My eyes just like them. I think you could go with them and happily never look back . The meopta seem to be the sleepers for sure though. As mentioned above, they are using flourite glass and are much closer to swaro/Leica/Zeiss as far as anything mentioned. Meostars can be had regularly for the price you mentioned as well. Good luck in the search!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eli said:

For reference I own tract toric 10x42 and a tract toric scope. Also have Leica, swaro. 

Most made in Japan binoculars from good companies are made my kamakura, then rebranded. (Look at the toric spotter and the leupold Santiam sx5 angled spotter to see what I’m talking about, or compare the razor LH line to the toric scopes.) supposedly the toric line is made here. Zeiss conquests have been made there, leupold, vortex razor, and I’ve heard maven as well. Kamakura isnt putting out a list obviously so I’m hesitant to say definitively on a list. None of this means the build is the exact same, as they are still building with each companies specified glass, coatings, etc, but if true the build quality should be equal. 

I know OP didn’t say it but the Meopta meostar line is made in Czech republic with flourite. Next tier stuff for sure. 

Based on my experience with the above, the torics compare about equally to the vortex razor HD  line if that helps. Similar feel to Zeiss conquests as far as build, brightness, etc from a  few years ago but the new conquests seem a bit crisper so I’m curious what Zeiss did differently. I’ve not compared directly to the HD GPO, just the ED line and it was substantially better. Not compared to maven. 

I suspect tract/maven/Gpo would come down to who you prefer for magnification/dimensions, what your eye likes for coatings, etc. as all (could probably add in the leupold sx5 and vortex razor line) fall into the “96% of Swarovski for 50% of the price” category. 

I'm in the market for 12.5x50 also so I’ve been looking around a lot. FWIW, my short list is down to tract or used meopta meostars. My short list is down to those two for a spotter as well. Tract is a great company and extremely responsive to anything you need. Great warranty, and the owners of the company are actively engaged in customer service and are the ones answering emails. My eyes just like them. I think you could go with them and happily never look back . The meopta seem to be the sleepers for sure though. As mentioned above, they are using flourite glass and are much closer to swaro/Leica/Zeiss as far as anything mentioned. Meostars can be had regularly for the price you mentioned as well. Good luck in the search!

cameraland had Meopta6 scopes on sale for $700 or so recently, not sure if thats still the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

cameraland had Meopta6 scopes on sale for $700 or so recently, not sure if thats still the case.

he is looking for binos.

10 hours ago, Eli said:

do you prefer Tract over zeiss? just want to know your opinion, zeiss conquest i'm talking about.

thank you for the input.

• Like 1

Speaking conquest wise, I think the new Zeiss are better. Brightness is equal but the Zeiss win in clarity, but not by a lot. Don’t think they make a 12x though. It would depend on how much each was  if that makes sense. They are pretty close to my eye. 

rokslide has the tract 12.5x for everywhere from $525-$650. 

1 hour ago, juliuscesar said:

he is looking for binos.

do you prefer Tract over zeiss? just want to know your opinion, zeiss conquest i'm talking about.

thank you for the input.

Are you in the valley? I’m in Mesa if you want to check the tract out

• Thanks 1