Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Awesome day!

Went out with Jake from here and a buddy, Hector. We went to the stand where I called in a dog on Thursday, but didnt get a shot.

About 12 minutes into the stand, I see a coyote walking behind me. I stand up to try and get a shot at it with my 22-250. No go. While I am up looking for him, Jake's .243 goes off! "Did you get him?"

"Yeah, I got it!"

Jake and I walk over to it. The dog jumps up, hobbled. His .243 mis fires (we are at about 80 yards). I decided to shoot him with my 12 guage from 80 yards. The first shot hurts the dog, but it doesnt go down. I dust it a couple of more times. Hector gets envolved and dumps this dog at about 110 with the 22-250! Nice shot!

We set up on some awesome stands with everything right.. Trucks hidden, sun right, wind right etc with no takers.

On the last stand, we all fell in love with it. We are on a hill over looking a flat that is semi thick with vegetation and a wash bed right below us.

I put the 12 guage aside, and held the 22-250 expecting a 100 or so yard shot. About 14 minutes into the stand, I see a small silver back walking away. I thought it was a bobcat at first! I lip squeaked it back around the tree and when it got in between two Cholla's I could tell I had just called in a badger!! The 22-250 rang out and the badger was down! Awesome!!

Smile for the camera!

badger005.jpg

Here is Hector and the days harvest:

badger015.jpg

Me and the badger:

badger020.jpg

Nice job Casey! I did some calling on Thursday and again Yesterday, but didn't have any takers. All of my good areas have the archery and rifle coues deer hunts going on right now, so I am staying out until those hunts are over. Calling new areas can be tough, especially if you really aren't sure if there are dogs even there.

Congrats again.

You going to mount that badger?

So how did he taste :lol:

Lol, that is something I didnt and I will not eat! Even if Chef cooks it up! That dam thing stunk almost as bad as my lion did!

I would guess she was about 13 pounds? Hector, what do you think?

Schmalts...that's a cool vid! I imagine them guys are pretty temperamental at close range.

Like Casey said, this one was a bit farther than that!

I think Casey is close with guessing he was 13-15 pounds. It was "tough" to hold up for the pictures so that definitely says something.

We would have gotten better pics of him but the shot "gutted" him pretty good. He should still make a good rug though.

He did have a very strong smokey/muskey odor to him though. Hard to describe but it made me gag a bit when I inhaled his aromatic gift downwind at close proximity.

The coyote, well "somebody" blasted its freaking head almost completely off! :rolleyes:

That's why the head is hidden behind the badger in the pic. That yote was indeed a team effort. Casey was calling and I had a coyote coming at a good pace from right to left at twenty yards. I had a small window in front of me where it would pass. It did at TEN feet! I let it pass towards Casey since he had the shotgun. Well, it must of winded him cause it stopped and headed over the ridge between us. Meanwhile there was another yote coming in towards Jake. Needless to say, He blasted him but hit her too far back. Casey went to finish her with the 12 ga and unloaded all four shells but missed pretty bad because she was gaining distance. That's when I put the bead on her and dropped her. Devastating shot with the exit wound at the face.

Fun times...fun times. Thanks again Casey for the invite. We'll do it again soon.

Glad you saved that badger from agony. I see he was choking on a stick :D But is guess a fifty grainer would have been better than you doing the Heimlich on him.

Doug~RR