SilentButDeadly

08 Coues sheds

Didn't spend as much time looking for bone as I'd of liked this year (what is the saying? 1/2 as much as I wanted, 2x as much as I could afford?)

Alot of my honey holes were picked dry too, so that was not so good.

Here's the pile from this year, sunny side up:

post-1107-1230697336_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1230697345_thumb.jpg

brown down:

post-1107-1230697373_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1230697384_thumb.jpg

biggest shed is around 49; the rack goes in the 90s

Got to love those sheds. Thats a great looking buck in the center, could you tell what killed it?

-Ryan

That's awesome Tyson! Ever since I was little I always dreamed I would figure out the scientific method for finding Coues sheds........and I still haven't figured it out! It just amazes me with how many of those critters run the hills, why is it so hard to stumble on to their sheds? I know the usual answer is TONS of shoe leather worn, but geez there has to be some method to it! Whats the secret Tyson? Congrats on the pile! JIM>

Thanks for the inspirational link :blink: From what I read, I learned that lucky people are more relaxed and open, and therefore see what is there rather than just what they are looking for.

WHAT THE HECK....so, I should just stop looking for sheds and just start looking?

C'mon Tyson, I need more help than that! :P I'm already a pretty lucky individual and I cover alot of ground in coues country every year and I'm lucky if I find 1 or 2 sheds....it just baffles me!

I'm just glad you at least can find em' and share em' with us here ;)

Great work! A matched set of spike sheds? You are indeed a shed whisperer. The big pick up is georgeous of course but the spike pick up with the antlers splayed to the sides is very cool looking too.

COOSEFAN, I liked your line "stop looking for sheds and just start looking?" That was better than any Zen master advice Grasshopper ever got on Kung Fu (an old T.V. show for those too young to remember.)

Not to get too Zen but, Tyson, if you sit quietly and listen carefully you will hear the sound of one hand clapping. Don't worry, it's just me applauding your very productive 2008 year of shed hunting. I can't wait for the pics of your 2009 haul. Good luck and Happy New Year!

-Jim

I think Antlerdog is the one to ask about picking up sheds (He is the true Zen master)... I pick almost all mine down in the Sonoran Upland / Desert grassland country, its easy enough, figure out: where are they watering and where are the nearest hill slopes covered in trees? According to the 'General Ecology of Coues Whitetail Deer in the Santa Rita Mountains' Coue's preferentially go to hillslopes with more cover to bed. Find their trails, stick to them and look in their beds. I find alot of sheds laying in their bed.

But, like the article said, you've got to be observant, look for sign, look for other things. I go out every morning planning on seeing at least 3 cool, unexpected things, usually they turn out to be completely unexpected, but sometimes one or two (or all three!) turn out to be shed antlers. Ex: I went out one morning looking for sheds and jumped up a big buck, found an ancient horse shoe in country no horse should be in, and saw a coral snake; no sheds, but I knew when I saw the coral snake that my luck for the day was burnt out!

T

I think Antlerdog is the one to ask about picking up sheds (He is the true Zen master)...

T,

Solid performance for sure... That is one heck of year for coues sheds.

When I talked to Antlerdog about where to find the gems of the arizona hillsides he described some of your advice included. Good stuff there.

Thanks for sharing the pics...

AzP&Y

I think Antlerdog is the one to ask about picking up sheds (He is the true Zen master)...

T,

When I talked to Antlerdog about where to find the gems of the arizona hillsides he described some of your advice included. Good stuff there.

AzP&Y

It's been a busy year for me (working alot) And I really can't count all the big antlers I found south of the border.But my shed hunting, hunting partner ( SIDERACK ) found 103 coues deer sheds this year. I was kinda dissappointed in him for not getting out at least one more time to surpass the 107 coues sheds he found in 2007!

Jim

T,

AzP&Y

It's been a busy year for me (working alot) And I really can't count all the big antlers I found south of the border.But my shed hunting, hunting partner ( SIDERACK ) found 103 coues deer sheds this year. I was kinda dissappointed in him for not getting out at least one more time to surpass the 107 coues sheds he found in 2007!

Jim

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah that Jake..... Slackin' again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

T,

AzP&Y

Jim

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah that Jake..... Slackin' again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

I think ole Jake has a couple more hours!

Jim

Alright Jim.Maybe if I load up in the truck now I could find 10 or 12 before the sun goes down :P

That just makes me sick, I'm excited if I find 3 coues sheds in a year, and you guys are trying to top the 100 mark!!!! Maybe it IS possible areas get picked over :P

Hey Jim and Jake, we'd love to see some pics of those antler piles if ya got em'.....and maybe some tips from the shed findin' pros? :P Thanks, JIM>

Very nice Tyson, time to start watching the wintering areas around here to get ready for the bulls to start dropping.

--Bill