Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

5A elk scout

I was up in 5A this weekend scouting for my boys jr elk hunt. Never been to this unit but has some intel from some coworkers. Drove/hiked around the 300 and FS147/141 E,F,H. Tons of off-roaders (sxs, bikes) and just people camping and not to mention an archery bull hunt going on.

Heard one solo bugle, don’t know if it was man made or not off of the 300 but very quiet all around. Hopefully the rut is still lingering by the time his hunt starts on 10/13.

I did drive up to East Sunset Mountain and glassed up a very nice 6x and a raghorn.

Just wondering if I should go further north of Knoll lake, won’t have time prior to the hunt to make it back up there.

Off roaders and week ends go together like Peanut butter and Jelly. I can't say for the rut to still be active 10/13 but there is a good chance. I would bring a  bugle to help locate a bull. There is always those young bulls who still think they have a chance with a late cow. Give him a hot cow call and he will come in.

My son has this hunt and his tag is for an antlerless elk.  We were planning on a trip there this weekend but it did not work out.

We'll be up there a couple days early to do some scouting and I'm hoping for some late rut activity.

Good luck to your son Shooter.

Eddie

21 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Off roaders and week ends go together like Peanut butter and Jelly. I can't say for the rut to still be active 10/13 but there is a good chance. I would bring a  bugle to help locate a bull. There is always those young bulls who still think they have a chance with a late cow. Give him a hot cow call and he will come in.

It’s a jr cow hunt not a bull, sure wish it was though.

Did a lot of riding up there this weekend. Perfect weather for it, just a little dusty. Saw a ton of bulls on a night ride Saturday. 

• Like 1