geniejeniffer

Gear recommendations for Coues deer muzzleloader hunting in New Mexico?

Hey everyone! I'm planning to hunt Coues deer during muzzleloader season in New Mexico and I'm looking for some gear recommendations. What are the essential items I should consider for a successful hunt? Specifically, I'd like to know about muzzleloader rifles, optics, camouflage clothing, footwear, and any other gear that would be helpful for stalking and taking down Coues deer in New Mexico's terrain. Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I hate to mention it but NM changed their rules regarding muzzleloader hunts. You can no longer use a rifle scope! 

As to other information. Most hunters do the spot and stalk approach to hunting coues. A good pair of binoculars on a tripod is essential. I think you should also do some preseason scouting if possible. Coues are not as prevalent in NM as they are in Az. NM only allows 5 days for the hunt which can add to the difficulty. 

I hunted deer near Alma and Glenwood twice with a centerfire rifle a while back. I scouted a few days before my hunt. I went into terrain that I thought would have whitetail. All I ever found were mule deer and bighorns! Hope you know of a good area that has whitetails. I once asked Dave Miller, the gunsmith famous for his many book coues,  if he hunted for coues in NM. His answer was he didn't bother because they are very hard to find. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yep no scopes  on muzzleloaders . So iron sights or best option  is a peep sight . Blackhorn  209 is expensive  but it's the best powder  option  . It's non corrosive  unlike  most pellets.  Muzzle- loaders.com has a good  selection  and fair price  on guns .

I have hunted NM couse and it was a very tough hunt. 2nd to last day finally found a decent buck. Lots of muleys and lots of sheep where I hunted. I talked to alot of locals on that hunt no one was successful but me, the out of stater. NM does not allow scoped muzzys the rule changed 1-2 years ago. I will reccomend decent glass. GPS and also a normal paper map. I really recommend a well equipped hunting rig, some of those roads are no joke. I also recommend really good boots. What unit did you draw? I had a 23 / non burros tag.

54 minutes ago, Dano562 said:

I have hunted NM couse and it was a very tough hunt. 2nd to last day finally found a decent buck. Lots of muleys and lots of sheep where I hunted. I talked to alot of locals on that hunt no one was successful but me, the out of stater. NM does not allow scoped muzzys the rule changed 1-2 years ago. I will reccomend decent glass. GPS and also a normal paper map. I really recommend a well equipped hunting rig, some of those roads are no joke. I also recommend really good boots. What unit did you draw? I had a 23 / non burros tag.

Where did you see the muleys at?  I will be there in a couple of weeks. 

16 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Just the 180" bucks.  Hahaha 

Seen a couple in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. And the road split 2 different units

2 hours ago, Dano562 said:

Seen a couple in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. And the road split 2 different units

That's legal in nm right?