Bend Over, Hunters...You Asked For It

Posted by John Caile on Thursday, January 08, 2009 2:25:00 PM

OK, all you naive "sportsmen" who voted for Obama (along with a whole flock of anti-gun Democrats), get ready. Because you're about to get just what you deserve. Trouble is, the rest of us who own guns are going to become your "collateral damage."

Now, this goes beyond Democrats and Republicans - a heck of a lot of my gun owning friends are Democrats. It just so happens that at this point in history, the once gun-friendly Democratic Party of my youth is now controlled by the anti-gun, anti-self-defense types like Nancy Pelosi and Charles Schumer. That's just the reality.

And YOU made it possible.

Yes, you, the "I'm just a hunter - I don't have to worry about them taking MY guns" types who vote for candidates who pass "assault weapons" bans. Oh, I forgot, YOU don't own an AR-15 or an FN-FAL, so you're willing to throw your fellow gun owners overboard for...what? False promises of "free" health care? A "stimulus" check? Or (my personal favorite) "I'm a union member, so I have to vote Democrat - the union says so."

And you, the "country club" gun owners, who proudly announce to your liberal cocktail party friends that you "don't belong to the NRA or anything" and that oh heavens, no, you don't hunt - you just shoot for "sport."

But perhaps the worst of all are the rest of you apathetic gun owners who never join a gun rights group, never call, never write, never even e-mail your representatives or senators to protect your gun rights. Because YOU are the reason we will now have an overwhelmingly anti-gun Senate and Congress, along with by far the most anti-gun President in U.S. history.

And the attacks have already begun. In 17 states so far, Democrat-led legislatures are proposing the, ahem, "Ammunition Accountability Act" - nothing short of an outrageous demand that ammunition manufacturers engrave a SERIAL NUMBER on EVERY SINGLE bullet they sell!

Such a measure will obviously do NOTHING to prevent crime or save a single life. But from a purely practical perspective, do you people have any idea what such a mandate will do to ammo prices? They will skyrocket. Ammunition prices have already gone up 70% in the past 5 years (due to the increased demand for copper and lead by China and India). Oh, sure, they've tried to say that it will cost "only" $2.50 extra per box - but the reality will surely be far worse.

Oh, and you reloaders? Well, since you will have no economical way to inscribe a unique serial number on each and every round you load, YOU will become a criminal. Yeah, yeah, I know "they'll never come after me..." Tell that to Randy Weaver...

Ah, I know what some of you hunter types are thinking - "Oh, well, I only fire a couple rounds to sight in my gun and then a few more during deer season, so I guess that isn't so bad."

Think again. Because that's only the beginning.

For example, another tactic that is gaining momentum is the banning of ALL lead bullets for hunting - just such a measure has already been proposed for deer hunting in Minnesota by (you guessed it) a suburban, female, Democrat legislator. And why? Well, it seems that after almost a century of Minnesota hunters eating deer meat (without a single case of "lead poisining" ever recorded), suddenly a few tiny grains of lead that MAY have fragmented from the bullet are a "serious threat" to public health.

The "lead phobia" is so out of control that community "food shelf" groups are turning down perfectly good deer meat! Apparently it is better to let the homeless starve than risk their ingesting a few grains of lead (which is almost always removed during processing anyway).

Oh, one other reason for banning lead - apparently someone, somewhere found a sick eagle and was oh-so-certain that it became ill by feasting on...deer guts. Ipso facto, it MUST have been due to...lead fragments!

Now, those of you who have priced solid copper bullets lately will understand what passage of such mandates will mean. If solid copper ammunition costs around $50 a box now, imagine what it will cost when they are MANDATED. But if Minnesota's 500,000 deer hunters sit silently on their lazy apathetic butts, it WILL happen.

But there's more. Taxes. In an economic downturn, state governments are looking for every opportunity to expand their tax base - and gun owners are right in their cross-hairs. Even as I write this, proposals are already being floated to:

* Add a huge tax on each new firearm purchased - some states even want to apply a tax to private sales of USED guns.

* Require registration of all existing firearms - with a big fee attached of course.

* Additional taxes on ammunition (on top of all the other mandates mentioned).

* Raising "concealed carry" permit fees to $500 or more - Obama himself has stated he would like to see ALL carry laws repealed (heavily armed personal bodyguards are OK for him and his fellow legislators, but allowing YOU to carry a handgun....oh no...too risky). Some savvy Democrats realize such a drastic measure would cost them in the mid-term elections, but, hey, if they can't repeal them, no problem - just make permits so expensive that most folks won't be able to afford them.

* Raising hunting license fees dramatically - remember that the anti-gun types hate ALL hunting, so anything that discourages it is fine with them.

* Creating outrageous "special fees" for "military style" firearms (AKA "assault weapons") - Oh, and the definition of "assault weapon" will be expanded to include just about every auto-loading firearm in the nation (another Obama proposal).

* Require "state approved" training for all gun owners - at YOUR expense, of course.

* Continued attacks on Gun Shows - either outlawing them completely, or slapping huge taxes on both exhibitors and patrons. This obsession with gun shows continues, despite years of studies, by the FBI and others, that prove what gun owners knew all along: thugs, drug dealers, and gangbangers do NOT get their guns from gun shows (or any other legal source, for that matter) - they steal them or buy them from the black market.

* Expanding the definition of "unlicensed dealer" to mean ANYONE who transfers a gun, thus requiring a background check and a "transfer tax" - even from a father who gives his own son a gun for Christmas! (We're not making this up).

And I haven't even touched on the "Star Trek" proposals that seek to require some sort of magic fingerprint recognition before the gun can be fired. The "thinking" that goes into these proposals goes beyond a lack of engineering realities - it is downright insane.

Note that the anti-gun contingent will have all sorts of "nice" sounding language ("keeping guns out of the wrong hands...protecting the children...'common sense regulation'...blah, blah, blah.") to describe these covert assaults on your privacy and your rights, but their real goal has never changed - slowly but surely eliminating the private ownership of firearms, by gradually making it ever more expensive, more complicated, and more time consuming, so that eventually, you just throw in the towel. Don't believe it? Ask yourself this: If Feinstein, Schumer, Pelosi and friends could get away with it, would they ban virtually every gun you own?

Unless you're in total psychological denial, you know the answer.

Ironically, the same people who wail and wring their hands over the "intrusiveness" of anti-terrorism measures such as the Patriot Act have no problem using the power of government to target innocent gun owners. But then, to these people, an American gun owner is a far greater threat than an Al Qaida terrorist.

So, thank you, all you guys (and girls) who made this possible. And when you wake up a year or two from now, and wonder where your rights went, just don't say we didn't warn you.

Or...you can join the fight now - better late than never. And your fellow gun owners will welcome you back with open (albeit locked and loaded) arms.

I'm gonna start stocking up on vasaline while I can still afford it.

Good post Mike. It pretty much hits the nail on the head.

There are also bills on the drawing board to outlaw firearms on ANY public land. Which would all but end hunting in AZ. And you can Imagine what it would do the the price of a private land tag.

Theres some change to believe in.

Thanks for a great post Mike.

From a Republican Union Member! :D

hello - I'll pass it along agin - goes something like this -- If one sticks his head in the sand long enough- what's left sticking in the air - :blink: - is where he get's it ! Gary