Sign in to follow this  
geologger

Ruger #1 405 Winchester - and ammo!

Almost new Ruger No.1H Tropical Rifle in 405 Win. 24" barrel, barrel band sling swivel, quarter rib. I am the second owner and it appeared unfired when I acquired it. I fired it six times to verify function and never got around to mounting a scope so haven't shot it since. (It did shoot two 3-shot groups under 2" at 100yds with iron sights - pretty darn good for my old eyes). The only negative is a mark on the left side of the action - the previous owner told me that is was some sort of commemorative rifle and the medallion had been removed. I have no way of verifying that but there is not a mark or rust spot anywhere else on the rifle that would indicate that it had been neglected or anything else to cause rust so it sounded plausible. Obviously it doesn't affect function in any way. I considered getting the action cerakoted but since I intended it as a shooter, I never bothered. The best part is that I have 8 boxes of 300gr Hornady ammo (minus the six rounds I fired, so 154 rounds) available to the buyer - not selling ammo separately unless the buyer doesn't want it (highly unlikely). From what I can determine Ruger produced darn few of these.    $1550 - possible trades/partial trades. (6" Anaconda, HK USP Elite 45, Sig P220 45 or 10mm, or ? )

405-R.jpg

405-calstamp.jpg

405-L.jpg

405-top.jpg

405-muzzle.jpg

405-actionL.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

There's no rust now but must have been at one point, it is slightly pitted, you can feel it with your fingernail. It would probably need to be sandblasted before refinishing to get rid of it completely. Maybe some moisture got behind the medallion and caused some corrosion? It was like this when I got it so I'm only guessing what caused it. Like I said, it sounds likely that that's what happened without any evidence of rust, freckling or corrosion anywhere else.

Ok do you have the medallion, the box or the rings. Thanks 

None of those came with it when I got it. I guess you could customize it with the medallion of your choice. I probably have a set of rings around. I’ll check. 

I was asked about the ammo so just to be clear, the ammo is available for extra cost. Hornady makes one production run per year and it’s pretty hard to come by. The normal price is $85 per box but often sells for more than that when it’s available. Reloading makes things much easier, especially considering that the #1 can handle heavier loads than the factory ammo. I will sell the ammo I have for $75/box or $500 for all of it. 

Post from a friend's e-mail who is way more knowledgeable than I am. 

"I know I would like 
to have any 405 of any kind.  Its the 30-40 Krag case if reloading brass is needed.
Craig Boddington claimed his daughter used a Ruger 405 to take all the big
four in Africa no sweat. (no rhino)  Said it was more than he would ever try.
She claimed that with her no. ones in 7x57 and 405 she would never need another
gun. Love to have sufficient experience to make that claim."