dsotm

WTB 62 cal smoothbore

1 hour ago, azsugarbear said:

Most smoothbores tend to be custom jobs as opposed to production rifles.  Is this for re-enacting or hunting?

Pig and turkey and general plinking. Figure it’s a long shot but never know unless you try. Might end up trying my hand with a kit.

If it’s not for re-enacting, don’t limit yourself to just a Fusil or trade gun.  Don’t waste your time with a kit unless they’re high quality components, ESPECIALLY the lock (Chambers, Davis, L&R).  Here is my .62 cal English Fowler smoothbore (front sight only) made by tip Curtis who has unfortunately passed away.  He used to sell completed rifles “In the white” that you would put a finish on yourself.  Mine is not for sale but just for reference.

IDK if Tip’s son is producing rifles now (possibly) continuing his father’s legacy?

When I used to live in the valley, they would have a black powder club traditional muzzleloader shoot once a month at Ben Avery and another muzzleloader club would meet at Usery (maybe the same one?).  I would look into those for contacts and show up and ask around.  There was always someone selling or trading something or willing to.  

They have a NMLRA Rendevous at Ben Avery (or used to) and I met Tip Curtis there a few years back.  You could also get on “Muzzleloadingforum.com” and ask or read about them.

My pics are just for reference but flintlocks are a lot of fun whether shooting my .36, .45, or .62 Cal smoothie.  .62 Cal smoothbore full custom pictured and one of my Javi’s.

IMG_0015.thumb.png.5e0bf3df038cecd9e4ac7ed024cd7974.pngIMG_2452.thumb.jpeg.1dac1e35b22afe687a314e2ade0212e3.jpegIMG_2453.thumb.jpeg.0b789b4a43f63298c043cf697dac5b7f.jpegIMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.318c3c69a02d9581947449c4ae0ec438.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stalkincoues said:

If it’s not for re-enacting, don’t limit yourself to just a Fusil or trade gun.  Don’t waste your time with a kit unless they’re high quality components, ESPECIALLY the lock (Chambers, Davis, L&R).  Here is my .62 cal English Fowler smoothbore (front sight only) made by tip Curtis who has unfortunately passed away.  He used to sell completed rifles “In the white” that you would put a finish on yourself.  Mine is not for sale but just for reference.

IDK if Tip’s son is producing rifles now (possibly) continuing his father’s legacy?

When I used to live in the valley, they would have a black powder club traditional muzzleloader shoot once a month at Ben Avery and another muzzleloader club would meet at Usery (maybe the same one?).  I would look into those for contacts and show up and ask around.  There was always someone selling or trading something or willing to.  

They have a NMLRA Rendevous at Ben Avery (or used to) and I met Tip Curtis there a few years back.  You could also get on “Muzzleloadingforum.com” and ask or read about them.

My pics are just for reference but flintlocks are a lot of fun whether shooting my .36, .45, or .62 Cal smoothie.  .62 Cal smoothbore full custom pictured and one of my Javi’s.

IMG_0015.thumb.png.5e0bf3df038cecd9e4ac7ed024cd7974.pngIMG_2452.thumb.jpeg.1dac1e35b22afe687a314e2ade0212e3.jpegIMG_2453.thumb.jpeg.0b789b4a43f63298c043cf697dac5b7f.jpegIMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.318c3c69a02d9581947449c4ae0ec438.jpeg

That's a really nice looking rifle and good job with the pig with it.

• Like 1