Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Hunter Safety

I did a week session in our "enrich" time showing students about Arizona wildlife, hunting and fishing. Out of 30 kids in the class, 3 had hunted while 20 out of the 30 had been fishing.

Made me realize just how removed hunting is from the general population and I even live a considerably rural area.

My question revolves around Hunter Safety Course.

Is this required for a youth to get a license? I was under the impression that it was required but a student called me out claiming they had put in for the draw without taking the course, which I responded by saying that my understanding was you could put in for a hunt but had to complete the course before the actual hunt.

I know this was discussed in another thread but..........is Hunter Safety required for youth hunters?

^^^mostly what they said.  Its required for kids 10-13 years old in Arizona to hunt big game.  Once a kid turns 14 its no longer required by law.  Most other states have a "born after this date..." requirement, so it behooves every kid to take it regardless of age if they have long-term plans to hunt other states.

5 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Made me realize just how removed hunting is from the general population

This hits home.  More and more we're seeing (through studies and questionnaires) that young people getting into conservation as a career do not have a hunting and fishing background.  It was my love of hunting (specifically upland bird hunting in Iowa during the boom years of the 1985 Farm Bill and CRP program, followed by the bust years after it ended in 1995 that helped lead me to a career in wildlife biology/conservation.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:20 PM, IA Born said:

^^^mostly what they said.  Its required for kids 10-13 years old in Arizona to hunt big game.  Once a kid turns 14 its no longer required by law.  Most other states have a "born after this date..." requirement, so it behooves every kid to take it regardless of age if they have long-term plans to hunt other states.

This hits home.  More and more we're seeing (through studies and questionnaires) that young people getting into conservation as a career do not have a hunting and fishing background.  It was my love of hunting (specifically upland bird hunting in Iowa during the boom years of the 1985 Farm Bill and CRP program, followed by the bust years after it ended in 1995 that helped lead me to a career in wildlife biology/conservation.

Just recently, my first time to hunt out of AZ, Colorado wanted to see my record of completing hunters education. I still have my original card from 1976. By the time I am done this semester I will have presented to over 400 students, I started another round today. It is fun talking about hunting and wildlife conservation. There is so much I don't know and so many people who donate time to the conservation process. It is a learning experience for me as well. Heck I want to get a trout fish tank in my room for next year!!!

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 10:53 AM, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Just recently, my first time to hunt out of AZ, Colorado wanted to see my record of completing hunters education. I still have my original card from 1976. By the time I am done this semester I will have presented to over 400 students, I started another round today. It is fun talking about hunting and wildlife conservation. There is so much I don't know and so many people who donate time to the conservation process. It is a learning experience for me as well. Heck I want to get a trout fish tank in my room for next year!!!

That libtard, treehugger state of CO, requiring hunter ed for anyone born after 1949?  Come on, 75 or older to be exempt?  😯 

• Like 1