Sign in to follow this  
Phil Carr

Turkey with my 8 gauge

IMG_2910.thumb.jpeg.558379d15ff18d3c197ec6663d11d8b6.jpegAfter years of waiting to get a turkey tag I finally completed a bucket list item. My brother called in this bird in on the 2nd day I was able to hunt.

2oz of #7 1/2 shot bing pushed by about 5 drams of black powder. W C Scott and Son 8 gauge hammer gun made in 1888. Picture of my brother posing with my 8 gauge and bird.

• Like 24
  • Love 2

This is so awesome!!  I think my home state has a maximum gauge limit of 10 for some reason.  I didn’t think anyone would ever take an 8 gauge out anyhow!!  Awesome!

Arizona like many other states had a ruling that no shotgun bigger than a 10 gauge can be used on game.I set out about 14 years ago working with the AZ Game and fish department to allow the use of the 8 gauge for hunting all wildlife that could be hunted with lower gauge shotguns. ( Migratory birds are governed the federal G&F) so waterfowl or example cannot be hunted with the 8 gauge. 
I owned 2 8 gauges at the time.

Fortunately the Commissioner at the time agreed with me ( he did not accept the panels original decision to deny my request.) The  panel felt that AZ hunters might be confused and shoot migratory birds with the 8 gauge. My response was earlier today the department suspended a hunters license for 5 years for taking two deer in the same year. The hunter argued he was not aware that this was a violation. Ignorance was an excuse for not knowing the law.
The panel was directed to go back and figure out how to allow the 8 gauge. 
Further banning  the 8 gauge did not make sense after all 3 1/2 “ 12 and 10 gauges can carry an equally large payload. Other states allow the 8 gauge.
The goal should be to harvest the game you are hunting as effectively as possible. As long as the hunter abides by the limit and hunts ethically.

As the law stands today you can hunt all big game with the exception of bison. As well you can hunt predators and upland game with the 8.

I have now taken turkeys in New Mexico and Florida as well.

If any members have 8 gauges it would be nice to hear from you.

PS calling in coyotes using the old 8 gauge is a blast.

• Like 4

That is badass! Good for you! Congrats and way to be proactive changing laws with common sense!