Sign in to follow this  
Buckhunter

A few Quail from Roosevelt

My buddie and I went up Friday to get our last bird hunt in for the year. Went to 3 locations and got into birds all day. Took my new over and under 20 out for a good break in. Finaly got the hang of it towards the end of the day. Cooked some up with some Antelope steaks tonight , YUM!

post-2044-1234061110.jpg

post-2044-1234061375_thumb.jpg

Great job on the birds. Did you find them to flush far out? I hunted Thursday by Punkin Center and ended up with 10 birds by noon. The birds quit calling after 10a.m. I stopped in 1 spot and did a big loop and didn't find them until I was 70 yds. from the truck, by then I was tired and missed 2 shots. I had the whole place to myself and found birds in the same places as I did in Oct. All the birds are big ones now.

I don't know about buckhunter, but I don't use a dog. Biggest covey I saw was about 20 birds. I hit 4 of my best spots and 3 had 15 to 20 bird coveys.

Im not running a dog this year. Retired a dog that my dad left for me. My Dad is moving back from Oklahoma this year. He has the best line of dogs hes had in 30 years. He went from German Shorthairs to English Pointers. He's had Crooked River Kennel for 25 years now. Hes got a litter for sale right now if anyones intrested.

Found 4 coveys of birds that were anywhere form 15 birds to 60 birds a covey. If I had a few dogs I could have done very well this year. Spent alot of time chasing deer this year. I vowed to shoot more quial next season.

buckhunter.....Thanks for sharing those pictures. I can't believe I never got out once this year to chase them birds. That's about what I do is chase. :lol:

TJ

i know you were around roosevelt but about where in roosevelt. me and my dad kept trying to find some birds for my shorthair but we only got into 2 covies and i only got one shot and my dad got 2 shots but we ended up with 2 birds from around there. thats all we could find

i know you were around roosevelt but about where in roosevelt. me and my dad kept trying to find some birds for my shorthair but we only got into 2 covies and i only got one shot and my dad got 2 shots but we ended up with 2 birds from around there. thats all we could find

I know your young bud, but asking a man to give up his exact hunting spots isn't exactly kosher. It's pretty much the same as asking if you could have relations with his wife or daughter while he stood by and watched.

Keep getting out there, walk a little farther and you'll find some birds and have a few spots that you can call your own.

Schmitty

Good job, most people carry a rabbits foot for good luck not the whole rabbit. :D

--Bill

ya i know what you are saying schmitty. i wasnt asking for an exact spot, just a generl area around roosevelt. its a huge area so he wouldnt give to much away by saying anything unless he does give the exact spot

How many of those did you shoot on the ground? I've seen you shoot AT quail, I don't think all of those are yours!