WM 6A

Oct. hunt in unit 6a

Greetings, my name is Dan Caputo and I am the wildlife manager for unit 6A. I am seeking feedback on a possible hunt change in unit 6a. This site was recommended to me as a place to receive honest feedback.

I am recommending that permits be transfered from the December hunt into an October hunt in Unit 6A. The new October hunt will be similar to those offered in S. Arizona. It will be four days long and offered on the first weekend of the mule deer season. The December hunt will not be changed, other then a reduced amount of permits. For example: last year there were 250 permits offered in December. With the proposed change, there maybe 150 permits offered in December and 150 offered in October. The management objectives will target the same overall harvest, but will reduce the pressure on the older aged class bucks that become vulnerable during the December mating season. We can offer an increase in total permits without taking more bucks because the success rate in October will be lower then December. These are a few biological and political reasons that I believe an October hunt should be introduced:

1) There will be a net increase in permits, which will provide more opportunity to sportsmen. This increase in permits will not negatively impact the population because the overall harvest objective will remain the same. Besides, if you are strictly a 6A coues deer hunter, then you will have two chances in the draw, rather then just one.

2) Many portions of Unit 6A are not accessible in December do to scheduled road closures and possible weather conditions. An October hunt will allow hunters to access areas such as Woods Canyon, Munds Canyon, Williard Springs, and the Oak Creek Rim.

3) The Buck:Doe ratio in Unit 6a has been around 19 Bucks to 100 does. These are pretty modest buck numbers to justify having a high permitted hunt that targets breeding class bucks during the rut. The majority of October hunters will harvest 1-2 year old bucks. This will lighten the pressure on the breeding class bucks during the rut without negatively changing the buck:doe ratio.

4) Unit 6A does not have a blanketed whitetail population, like what is experienced in S. AZ. The populations are scattered into pockets. As a result, during the December hunt, hunters are concentrated into those same pockets. I have received numerous complaints concerning hunter overcrowding issues on the December hunt. Spreading the permits over two hunts will reduce hunter density and provide a more quality hunt.

5) Many hunters have expressed frustration over deer movements during the rut. It seems like they find bucks in August, watch them through November and then loose them as the rut begins in December. An October hunt will provide for different hunt tactics based on deer behavior alone.

Keep in mind that this is only a suggestion and has not been made into a decision yet. I wanted to ensure that you all had an opportunity to comment on the matter before it becomes proposed. Even if it is proposed, it can still be rejected by our Game Branch or The Commission. You can also direct comments to me at dcaputo@azgfd.com

On a personal note, I am a savvy coues deer hunter that would only entertain ideas that would improve the quality of the hunt. I personally am willing to sacrifice a few draw percentages in December in order to have the opportunity to hunt in October.

Thanks

Dan Caputo

Hey Dan, good to hear from you.

It looks like 6A has been about a 35% success hunt, on average, the last few years. That means the 250 hunters take about 88 bucks. If the number of hunters is reduced to 150, and assuming the same success rate, they would take 52 deer, leaving 35 deer out of the 88 harvest objective to be taken in the October hunt. If we assume about half the success in October, 17%, (roughly based on southern unit rates), you could have 205 hunters to achieve that harvest. If G&F wants to limit it to 150 permits, how about the other 55 being designated as junior tags?

Is this reallocation being considered for other units like 21 & 23 that have only a December whitetail hunt?

How many mule deer hunters have you and past 6A GM's observed along the rim, that the extra coues hunters would provide overcrowding and their decrease their hunt enjoyment?

Doug Koepsel~Red Rabbit

Greetings, my name is Dan Caputo and I am the wildlife manager for unit 6A. I am seeking feedback on a possible hunt change in unit 6a. This site was recommended to me as a place to receive honest feedback.

I am recommending that permits be transfered from the December hunt into an October hunt in Unit 6A. The new October hunt will be similar to those offered in S. Arizona. It will be four days long and offered on the first weekend of the mule deer season. The December hunt will not be changed, other then a reduced amount of permits. For example: last year there were 250 permits offered in December. With the proposed change, there maybe 150 permits offered in December and 150 offered in October. The management objectives will target the same overall harvest, but will reduce the pressure on the older aged class bucks that become vulnerable during the December mating season. We can offer an increase in total permits without taking more bucks because the success rate in October will be lower then December. These are a few biological and political reasons that I believe an October hunt should be introduced:

1) There will be a net increase in permits, which will provide more opportunity to sportsmen. This increase in permits will not negatively impact the population because the overall harvest objective will remain the same. Besides, if you are strictly a 6A coues deer hunter, then you will have two chances in the draw, rather then just one.

2) Many portions of Unit 6A are not accessible in December do to scheduled road closures and possible weather conditions. An October hunt will allow hunters to access areas such as Woods Canyon, Munds Canyon, Williard Springs, and the Oak Creek Rim.

3) The Buck:Doe ratio in Unit 6a has been around 19 Bucks to 100 does. These are pretty modest buck numbers to justify having a high permitted hunt that targets breeding class bucks during the rut. The majority of October hunters will harvest 1-2 year old bucks. This will lighten the pressure on the breeding class bucks during the rut without negatively changing the buck:doe ratio.

4) Unit 6A does not have a blanketed whitetail population, like what is experienced in S. AZ. The populations are scattered into pockets. As a result, during the December hunt, hunters are concentrated into those same pockets. I have received numerous complaints concerning hunter overcrowding issues on the December hunt. Spreading the permits over two hunts will reduce hunter density and provide a more quality hunt.

5) Many hunters have expressed frustration over deer movements during the rut. It seems like they find bucks in August, watch them through November and then loose them as the rut begins in December. An October hunt will provide for different hunt tactics based on deer behavior alone.

Keep in mind that this is only a suggestion and has not been made into a decision yet. I wanted to ensure that you all had an opportunity to comment on the matter before it becomes proposed. Even if it is proposed, it can still be rejected by our Game Branch or The Commission. You can also direct comments to me at dcaputo@azgfd.com

On a personal note, I am a savvy coues deer hunter that would only entertain ideas that would improve the quality of the hunt. I personally am willing to sacrifice a few draw percentages in December in order to have the opportunity to hunt in October.

Thanks

Dan Caputo

HEY DAN,

I AM BEHIND YOU 100% IN THIS PROPOSAL, AS WE HAVE ALL SEEN THE CONSENTRATION OF HUNTERS IN CERTAIN PORTIONS OF THE UNIT OVER THE LAST 5-7 YEARS. THIS OCT. HUNT WOULD TAKE ALOT OF PRESSURE OFF THOSE DEC. LOVE HUNGRY BUCKS AND ALSO PROVIDE THE ADDED OPERTUNITY TO HUNT IN OCT. FOR THE BUCKS WE HAVE PATTERED IN AUG. AND SEPT.

GEOFF LLOYD

Hey Doug,

Thanks for commenting. You've done your homework. The example of permits used was only an example. I am still receiving data from the hunt and survey results. Until I get that info, I won't be able to figure out a hunt recommendation. You are right on the hunt success. On average, the October hunts in the south are about half of the December hunt. Until we establish a baseline for hunter success in October, we should be conservative. That would go the same for a Junior's hunt.

As for hunter conflict with mule deer hunters. In the early 90's, there were 2500 permits. Today there are less then 300. I don't believe that there are enough mule deer hunter afield to create a conflict. If anything, the mule deer hunters on the rim will push the whitetail back into the canyons. There maybe a few lost mule deer hunters disturbing the whitetail hunters and there maybe a few lost whitetail hunters disturbing the mule deer hunters. Overall, they should be hunting different topography types.

Thanks

Dan

I'm all for increased hunting opportunities. IMHO everybody wins, more people will get a chance to hunt a great unit, and there will be more mature bucks living 'till next season.

Sounds like Doug did some homework for all of us. I would have to say the deciding factor for me would be the slightly reduced hunting pressure. I would have to say I would be in favor of such a change in this example.

CWD members take note that the AZGFD is seeking quality input from our mebership. Hopefully ti will be the start of a routine.

Thanks

Dan Caputo

I welcome the idea of an October hunt in 6A. I believe it will give more hunting opportunities for the serious 6A whitetail hunter. I feel that the whitetail population in 6A will benefit in the long run from the addition of an October hunt.

I would like to commend you for "seeking" input. So many WMs don't really seek input and are sometimes even angry when thet receive it.

My comments are as long as the December tag numbers come down as you described, then I would support it.

Dan,

I believe creating an early hunt (Oct) would relieve a lot of pressure from the late hunt, and increase hunting opportunities at the same time. As you said in you earlier thread “you are limited in the area to hunt due to road closures”. By opening up an Oct hunt, you are giving hunters the opportunity to find new spots.

I'm all for this.

I tried to e-mail you earlier with the address you gave on another issue, my e-mail came back undeliverable. Can you contact me terry.downs@honeywell.com.

Thanks Terry

Dan, If it goes down as outlined above, it's a great plan..I too would like to see some junior tag's issued.